Jörgen
Vaggeryd

Jörgen from Vaggeryd asked

Weekend in Lisbon

I am traveling to Lisbon for the weekend. Need some tips on places to stay, to eat, to see. Hit me! Shopping is of zero interest! :)

Lisbon

Sonny

Berlengas is a must! Gorgeous! I went with a tour company I thinks is called Around Lisbon one of the guys name is Ruy. They are awesome! Peniche beach were you leave from is also awesome. Tell them I say Hi. Oh, and the best part of Portugal is the people hands down! Everyone is so warm and friendly! Plus they mostly all speak English, Spanish, Portuguese, and other languages.

Have a blast! I miss Portugal!

Carpe Diem,

Sonny

1. Berlengas (attraction)
Gonçalo from Lisbon

2 days visit? Easy :)

During the day go to the Castelo de São Jorge, and meet all the litle streets and traditional things around. Next go to Chiado, meet the cafés, really famous here, to Terreiro do Paço and by night visit Bairro Alto, the main bar zone in Lisbon, with thousands of people in the street drinking, talking and having fun.

In the 2nd day I would go to Belém, try the Pastéis de Belém, the best cake in the world, Visit Torre de Belém, and lunch at Pão Pão Queijo Queijo, the best sandwiches and other plates in Belem.

Anything else, just let me know :)

1. Castelo de São Jorge (attraction)
  2. Chiado (neighborhood)
  3. Terreiro do Paço (attraction)
  4. Bairro Alto (neighborhood)
  5. Belém (city)
  6. Pastéis de Belém (restaurant)
  7. Torre de Belém (attraction)
  8. Pão Pão Queijo Queijo (restaurant)
Sérgio from Lisbon

Depending on your budget, there are a lot of interesting places to stay downtown, between Marques de Pombal square and Castelo or Chiado, from some of the best hostels, like the one in Restauradores historical train station or many others around town. Check the site http://www.hostelworld.com/hoscars-2014 for listings. In Alfama, below the Castle, you have the wonderful Memmo Alfama Hotel Lisboa with a magnficent view to Tagus river estuary. 

Regarding food, go for Portuguese cusine at Restaurante Lisboa À Noite in Bairro Alto, modern cusine in Mercado da Ribeira food stalls run by Time Out magazine, and of course a drink at Lux-Frágil disco by the river.

Do not miss Belém area, for historical monuments and the cream custard cakes in Pastéis de Belém. A strool around Alfama, MourariaChiado and Bairro Alto neighborhoods for the historical center of town, by foot, to feel the vibe, or on Tram 28, if you do not like going up and down the hills walking.

1. Memmo Alfama Hotel Lisboa (hotel)
  2. Restaurante Lisboa À Noite (restaurant)
  3. Mercado da Ribeira (attraction)
  4. Lux-Frágil (attraction)
  5. Belém (city)
  6. Pastéis de Belém (restaurant)
  7. Alfama (attraction)
  8. Mouraria (attraction)
  9. Chiado (neighborhood)
  10. Bairro Alto (neighborhood)
  11. Tram 28 (attraction)
Emily from Otavalo, Ecuador

The Independente Hostel & Suites is a great hostel. It's literally right across the street from one of the most beautiful views in the city. Castelo de São Jorge also has a really beautiful view of the city. You can take the tram up there or you can walk. I really enjoyed just wandering around the city, especially in Alfama. It's the old neighborhood and its absolutely beautiful. If you want, you can take the number 13 tram and it will take you all through that neighborhood. If you have time, take a trip to Belém. It's a 10 minute train ride from Lisbon. They have this really old and famous bakery that makes pastels de nata. They are these really delicious cream pastries that you have to try. We ended up just stumbling upon places to eat. I can't remember any names specifically, but everywhere we went was delicious and it wasn't too expensive either. 

1. The Independente Hostel & Suites (restaurant)
  2. Castelo de São Jorge (attraction)
  3. Alfama (attraction)
  4. Belém (city)