Alex

Lisbon, Spain, Portugal

Possible stops for a scenic drive from Lisbon to Southern Spain?

I am thinking of a trip with 2 or 3 friends starting in Portugal in September as there is a surf school where I want to spend a few days. It's about an hours drive from Lisbon. Then I thought it'd be nice to hire a car and drive along the coast and into Spain.

It's a hypothetical trip at the moment so please don't hold back with suggestions.

I enjoy good food, wine, watersports, hiking, natural landscapes.

Would it be a nice drive down the west coast of Portugal, around to the south to see the Algarve and then into Spain. I hear Seville is a great city and Malaga is great for the beach.

Thanks a lot!

Ros from England

This sounds a great trip. I would suggest travelling down the Atlantic Coast of Portugal if you like surfing and unspoiled areas. The Algarve is very built up but it is particularly nice at either end. Sagres and Cape St Vincent are worth a stop as are Faro and Tavira at the other end. We have a house on the Costa de la Luz in Spain and know the next bit well. Travel over to Spain on the ferry from Av de Villa Real de San Antonio to Ayamonte. Before Huelva is a nice little place called El Rompido. Find the old port area with lots of seafood restaurants on the beach. After Huelva the beach stretches for miles near Mazagón. Travelling back towards Seville visit the Wild West looking town of El Rocío, home of the famous pilgrimage. Seville of course is great. After that if you want great food, beaches, surfing and a more traditional Spain I would head down to the sherry triangle of Jerez, El Puerto de Santa Maria and Sanlucar de Barrameda. Our house is in the latter. Head to the old port for great seafood and to the main square for the best tapas around. Cadiz is a great city. The coast to the south is great for walking and surfing. El Palmar near Trafalgar has a lot of surf shops and surfing all year round. Of course Tarifa is one of the surfing capitals of Spain. For history there are the whitewashed pretty towns of Vejer de la Frontera, Arcos de la Frontera and Medina-Sidonia. I could write so much more but hope this helps and you have a great time.

1. Portugal (country)
  2. Algarve (attraction)
  3. Sagres (city)
  4. Cape St Vincent (attraction)
  5. Faro (city)
  6. Tavira (attraction)
  7. Av de Villa Real de San Antonio (attraction)
  8. Ayamonte (city)
  9. Huelva (metro area)
  10. El Rompido (city)
  11. Mazagón (city)
  12. Seville (city)
  13. El Rocío (city)
  14. El Puerto de Santa Maria (city)
  15. Sanlucar de Barrameda (city)
  16. Cadiz (city)
  17. Tarifa (city)
  18. Vejer de la Frontera (region)
  19. Arcos de la Frontera (region)
  20. Medina-Sidonia (region)

I would suggest you to stop at places like Cape Saint Vincent Farol da Ponta da Piedade/Lagos Lagos Silves Tavira Tarifa and Ronda. All really cool places. Tarifa in Spain is also a very big surfing spot by the way.

1. Cape Saint Vincent (attraction)
  2. Farol da Ponta da Piedade/Lagos (attraction)
  3. Lagos (city)
  4. Silves (city)
  5. Tavira (attraction)
  6. Tarifa (city)
  7. Ronda (city)