Elaine
Brandon City

Lisbon

Must sees or dos in Lisbon?

I'm going to Lisbon in September... Any advice on must sees or dos?

Valerie from Seattle

Elaine, I hope you have a great trip to Lisbon! It's a really cool city--how long are you staying?

First of all, shameless plug for my travel blog because I have an article about what to do (and what not to do!) in Lisbon: http://www.valisemag.com/lisbon/

But so you don't have to click if you don't want to (though I'd love the feedback), here are the highlights:

• Check out the night life in Bairro Alto.It's a hopping neighborhood with tons of street-level restaurants and bars, and lots of people wandering about--even if you don't drink, it's a good spot to do some people watching.
  • Skip hotel breakfast and brunch locally, somewhere like Poison d'Amour. You'll get a much better 'taste' of local culture and cuisine!
  • There's a toss up between visiting Miradouro Sao Pedro de Alcantara for a great view of the city including the castle, or going to Castelo de São Jorge directly. The view from the castle might be better, but the view from the park actually has the castle in it... so, tradeoff there, or just do both!

Anyway, have a FANTASTIC trip!

1. Bairro Alto (neighborhood)
  2. Poison d'Amour (restaurant)
  3. Miradouro Sao Pedro de Alcantara (attraction)
  4. Castelo de São Jorge (attraction)

Caterina from Florence

Lisbon, perhaps the city I love the most ;-)

it is just S P E L L B I N D I N G.

Visit Oriente with its beautiful Parque das Nações, Calatrava's Railway Station & Bridge

and the Oceanário de Lisboa; you might also enjoy walking by the River Tejo or spending some time on the Teleférico (Lisbon cable car).

I recommend you take a walk around Graça and Alfama (better in daylight; when the sun goes down, it gets a little bit creepy...)  + visit the Castelo de São Jorge  & the Lisbon Cathedral.The Bairro Alto, Rossio and the Baixa are fascinating and just perfect for a night/evening walk. You might also like Convento Do Carmo,the Jerónimos Monastery

and the Belém tower

Have at least one dinner at "Lisboa à Noite" (website) Lisbon's best seafood restaurant in my opinion, try the real Ginjinha at Largo de Sao Domingos 8 and have lunch at Pois Cafe (website). Have breakfast at Pasteleria 1800 (Largo do Rato 7) and don't miss the Berardo Collection Museum (website) if you like modern and contemporary art.

Should you have time for a couple of days out, think about visiting Sintra, Cascais and Cabo da Roca.

I hope this may help you,

have a great time in Lisbon!

Caterina

1. Oriente (attraction)
  2. Parque das Nações (attraction)
  3. Oceanário de Lisboa (attraction)
  4. Graça (attraction)
  5. Alfama (attraction)
  6. Castelo de São Jorge (attraction)
  7. Lisbon Cathedral (attraction)
  8. Bairro Alto (neighborhood)
  9. Rossio (attraction)
  10. Baixa (neighborhood)
  11. Convento Do Carmo (attraction)
  12. Jerónimos Monastery (attraction)
  13. Belém (city)
  14. Sintra (city)
  15. Cascais (city)
  16. Cabo da Roca (attraction)

On top of the good suggestions you already have I would also like to recommend the area called Belém which is full of interesting historical sights.

For some new architecture Parque das Nações is really good.

This was the place where the EXPO 98 was held.

One of the best art museums in Europe is Gulbenkian Gardens if you are in to that kinda stuff.

And finally I would recommend that you rent a bike and take a bike tour along the Tejo River.

Bikeiberia is a really good place to rent bikes and they are right by the river where the bike trail along the Tejo river starts.

1. Belém (city)
  2. Parque das Nações (attraction)
  3. Gulbenkian Gardens (attraction)
  4. Bikeiberia (attraction)

Eduardo

Hi Elaine, it depends of the days you'll be arround, theres a lot of things to do and see!

Bairro Alto is a place to and have dinner o a drink

Alfama and it's narrow streets is a must. Plan to have dinner and look for some some fado resataurante arround Museu do Fado

Go to Castelo de São Jorge and enjoy the views

you should go also to Portas Do Sol and going down visit the Lisbon Cathedral

when you arrive to Praça do Comércio you can enjoy the nice river front until Cais do Sodre

From there you can go to Chiado and up to Miradouro Sao Pedro de Alcantara and Principe Real 

Go to Avenida da Liberdade 

Another zone you should not miss is Belém to see several monuents and musems National Coach Museum and Museu Berardo

if you like old masterpieces visit Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga

Absolutely gourgeous are Gulbenkian Gardens and museum

If you still have time and wish to know the modern lisbon take the subway to Oriente and walk arround

For nighlife I sugest the area arround Pensão Amor , bairro alto and Lux-Frágil

You can find great food all arround.

if you have time go and visit Sintra

1. Bairro Alto (neighborhood)
  2. Alfama (attraction)
  3. Museu do Fado (attraction)
  4. Castelo de São Jorge (attraction)
  5. Portas Do Sol (attraction)
  6. Lisbon Cathedral (attraction)
  7. Praça do Comércio (attraction)
  8. Cais do Sodre (attraction)
  9. Chiado (neighborhood)
  10. Miradouro Sao Pedro de Alcantara (attraction)
  11. Principe Real (attraction)
  12. Avenida da Liberdade (attraction)
  13. Belém (city)
  14. National Coach Museum (attraction)
  15. Museu Berardo (attraction)
  16. Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga (attraction)
  17. Gulbenkian Gardens (attraction)
  18. Oriente (attraction)
  19. Pensão Amor (restaurant)
  20. Lux-Frágil (attraction)
  21. Sintra (city)

R.a. from London

I would recommend Cooking Lisbon. I went in August and had the most amazing experience. You get to actually cook the food, and chat to the chefs whilst you're cooking. Its lots of fun.

1. Cooking Lisbon (attraction)