Natalia

Lisbon, Malaga

Driving itinerary between Lisbon to Malaga through the South

My husband, my 2 year old and I would like to drive from Lisbon to Malaga. We have two weeks to do this. What stops would you recommend? We would like to go through the south. Is this realistic for 2 weeks? 
Also, is there a ferry that goes into Morocco? Again, is this realistic given our timeline? We really like visiting small towns and are really into food.
Thank you

Manuel from Lisbon, Portugal

Hello Natalia,

Lisbon to Malaga in 2 weeks is more than realistic, as it is only 6h30 drive if you'd go directly ;)

When are you doing that trip? Now in winter or later in spring/summer?

Closer to summer I'd recommend a route to enjoy the coast and the beaches.

Now I would say to go to Évora, even though it is a bit of detour. Visit Vila Nova de Milfontes, visit Faro in Algarve.

Then in Spain you must go to Seville.

And, as you have 2 weeks, also go to Cordoba (Spain) and Granada, even if that means going a little further then Malaga.

Regarding Lisbon, are you living here? Or just coming to visit as well?

Either way I would recommend you to have a look at my blog www.allaboutlisbon.com where you'll also find some nice recommendations :)

1. Évora (attraction)
  2. Vila Nova de Milfontes (city)
  3. Faro (city)
  4. Seville (city)
  5. Cordoba (Spain) (city)
  6. Granada (city)

From Lisbon I would recommend that you go a little inland to towns like Évora and Mertola, which are very scenic and then from there continue to the coast. In the Algarve, towns like Lagos and Tavira are very nice. Continuing in to Spain, I would recommend Tarifa on the coast, but before that I would suggest you to drive a little inland to cities like Cordoba (Spain) and Seville. You have ferries to Morocco from Tarifa and from Algeciras, but remember that you are entering another continent by doing this, so be sure to have your papers in order for that if you decide to do so.

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Évora (attraction)
  3. Mertola (city)
  4. Lagos (attraction)
  5. Tavira (city)
  6. Tarifa (city)
  7. Cordoba (Spain) (city)
  8. Seville (city)
  9. Algeciras (city)

Todo

You have already received tons of useful information the most important being that yes it is possible. 

Do visit the Alentejocoast. It's lovely and be sure to try a cataplana. Tavira is one of the least spoilt places on the AlgarveAlgarve. You might like to check out Vejer de la Frontera and Arcos de la Frontera. Consider doing Tarifa with a local guide and driver.

1. Alentejo (city)
  2. Algarve (attraction)
  3. Vejer de la Frontera (city)
  4. Arcos de la Frontera (city)
  5. Tarifa (city)

Deborah from Toronto

Hi, this is a great idea! And definetly doable in two weeks. In the Lisbon area before you leave be sure to visit Sintra. Then heading south you can stop in Évora before reaching the algarve for a few days. Hopefully you are going in the summer to enjoy the beaches but the water is cold! I really like Lagos as  a base. Albufeira is super touristy. On the way to Spain you can stop in Faro and Estoiarriving to Seville for a few nights. One of the days I recommend a day trip to Cordoba is not to far and you only need a day there and another day a trip to Cadiz (the oldest city in Western Spain!). From here you can head to Tarifa or Marbella  to end your trip. 

You can take a ferry from Tarifa to Tangier (morroco) but you won't have much time to see anything else. If you have 3 nights free you could visit Fez and Chefchaouen

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Sintra (attraction)
  3. Évora (attraction)
  4. Lagos (attraction)
  5. Albufeira (city)
  6. Faro (city)
  7. Estoi (attraction)
  8. Seville (city)
  9. Cadiz (city)
  10. Tarifa (city)
  11. Marbella (city)
  12. Tangier (city)
  13. Fez (city)
  14. Chefchaouen (city)