Jen

Lisbon

Best day trip options from Lisbon?

Hi there!

I'm heading to Lisbon in about a week and will be there for 5-6 days. I'm wondering what the best day (or two) day trip options from Lisbon would be. Up for wine, adventure, sight seeing and whatever else is noteworthy to see throughout Portugal! Also, any other "must see" sights and activities in Lisbon area are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Sally from Los Angeles

Hi Jen,

I was just in Lisbon for a few days last month and I loved it! There's so much to see there. 

Highly recommend a day trip to Sintra. There is SO much to do and see, so get there early! I only made it to Pena National Palace (which is located in a national park) but there are several other castles and landmarks as well as a cute small town.

In terms of what to do, I'd say Belém is also worth it - that's about a half-day or so to see Jerónimos MonasteryTorre de Belém if you'd like and eat delicious Pastéis de Belém

In the city, go to Alfama and walk around and go to a fado bar as well (traditional Portuguese music) - Castelo de São Jorge is also there and great for exploring. 

Praça do Comércio for shopping and site-seeing. Take Tram 28 from Martim Moniz - it hits all the touristy spots of the city for cheap. 

I blogged about my time there if you want it to check it out here. I also ate at some good places (listed in the post).

Have so much fun!

1. Sintra (attraction)
  2. Pena National Palace (attraction)
  3. Belém (attraction)
  4. Jerónimos Monastery (attraction)
  5. Torre de Belém (attraction)
  6. Pastéis de Belém (restaurant)
  7. Alfama (attraction)
  8. Castelo de São Jorge (attraction)
  9. Praça do Comércio (attraction)
  10. Martim Moniz (attraction)

Reid from Tahoe City

I recommend going to Peniche and taking a surf lesson

1. Peniche (city)

Sintra and Obidos are the most popular out of Lisbon, but be ware that both places are heavily touristed, to a point where it's really annoying.  Sintra in particular is drowning in tourists at the moment. 

If you are in to wine, then you might wanna head down the Arrabida peninsule, south of Lisbon and visit the village of Azeitao, where you have a few wineries with tours and tastings. José Maria Da Fonseca Vinhos Sa is one of them, but there are a couple more wineries in town.

A visit to the historic Belém are is also a must in my opinion. If you like being active then you should rent a bike from Bikeiberia and cycle out there. You have nice bike paths along the river and it's a great way to see the part of Lisbon that runs along the river. I have a little article about it on this link: http://travellingclaus.com/idea-nice-day-lisbon/

A trip to Évora is also recommended. It's one of the best perserved medieval towns in Europe with some remains from roman times too.

1. Sintra (attraction)
  2. Obidos (city)
  3. José Maria Da Fonseca Vinhos Sa (attraction)
  4. Belém (attraction)
  5. Bikeiberia (attraction)
  6. Évora (attraction)

Hi Jen,

Will you have a rental car? If not don't worry -the public transport is good in Lisbon You should definitely go to: 

Belém see the Jerónimos Monastery and the Torre de Belém (take a tram) 

Sintra a short train ride from Lisbon and SO much to see there

3Guincho beautiful beach, popular for windsurfing.

Although we didn't visit Tomar lots of my friends have since recommended a visit to the Convent of Christ there

Take a wine tour to the vineyards in the Estremadura region. You can arrange this through the Lisbon tourist office, if you don't have a car.

In Lisbon itself there are many great museums like the Museu Calouste Gulbenkian the Design museum and the Fado museum but it is a really fab city to just chill, drink some wine, eat some fish, go to a jazz club. Walk the hills to Chiado Bairro Alto and especially the Alfama take in the views, meet the smiley, friendly people and just relax and enjoy the beautiful place.

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Belém (attraction)
  3. Jerónimos Monastery (attraction)
  4. Torre de Belém (attraction)
  5. Sintra (attraction)
  6. Guincho (hotel)
  7. Tomar (city)
  8. Convent of Christ (attraction)
  9. Museu Calouste Gulbenkian (attraction)
  10. Design museum (attraction)
  11. Chiado (neighborhood)
  12. Bairro Alto (neighborhood)
  13. Alfama (attraction)

Gita from Mumbai

When you're thinking of day trips from Lisbon, Sintra is one you should not miss.

1. Sintra (attraction)