Marissa asked

Beaches closest to Lisbon

We want to go on a daytrip to go to a beach near Lisbon. There were a few recommendations to go to Carcavelos, Cascais, Estoril, and Costa da Caparica. Of all these places, which one is the best closest to the train station - do we walk or need to take taxi or bus. Thanks in advance!!

Lisbon

Jaime from Chicago

I was just in Lisbon and took the train to Estoril, where the train station opens up to the beach.  I thought it was lovely, it has a castle on the beach, wasn't too crowded, and has natural tide pools as well.  

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Estoril (city)
Gonçalo from Lisbon

Hi Marissa, 

Definitely Cascais is the best choice. The train station is 50m from the beach, the village is wonderful, and you have to try Santini Ice creams :) 

Marissa
Thanks Goncalo! Any other tips while at Caacais?

Gonçalo
It depends what you are looking for, but I would definitely watch the sunset in Boca do Inferno ( more or less 30 minutes walking seaside or 10 by bus from the train station, and where you can meet the true ocean), eat a Ice cream in Santini, explore the small streets of the village and skip the touristic restaurants, they are not that good. Let me know if you need more specific ideas.

1. Cascais (city)
Paulo from Lisbon

Cascais is the closest to a train station, Carcavelos is the best option as a beach ( you need to walk 15 minutes to the beach )

good luck

Marissa
Thank you Paolo! Appreciate the response!

1. Cascais (city)
  2. Carcavelos (city)
João

Carcavelos and Cascais are quite similar. Personally I prefer Cascais, but can't really explain why.

I don't know Estoril;

Costa da Caparica is on the south bank of the Tagus River Flat , and AFAIK there is no direct transport/train like Carcavelos/Cascais.

1. Carcavelos (city)
  2. Cascais (city)
  3. Estoril (city)
  4. Costa da Caparica (city)
  5. Tagus River Flat (attraction)