Jeffrey

Lisbon, Porto, Portugal, Figueira da Foz

A month in Lisbon

Hi all, we are wanting to try something new to us.  We are going to travel to one location and really try to experience the place, meet people, live a mini-life for a month. 

We are thinking Lisbon would be a great place to experience.  It will be my wife and my 6 year old traveling.  We are going around March or April of 2018.

I was hoping to get information on a few things:

• What neighborhood to stay?
  • How do get around?
  • Day or weekend trips close to the area?
  • Local traditions/customs?

Anyone have any thoughts on Lisbon?  Has anyone done a month in one place; would you mind sharing your thoughts about your experience?

Cant wait to hear others thoughts!

Gonçalo from Lisbon

I am doing 2 years in each place, but one month also sounds good :) 

A place to stay it depends on your budget, the best places, in my opinion, are LapaCampo de OuriqueParque das Nações, but all can be a little expensive. If you prefer new building to old historic ones, then go a little upper and search around Campo Grande you can find great places to live there. 

If you prefer to live by the beach then search an apartment between Oeiras and Cascais, you will be 10 minutes walking from the beach, 15/20 by train to Lisbon,  and your lifestyle will be the best you can imagine. 

Transports in Lisbon are ok, you can buy a 30-day ticket, or you have Uber and MyTaxi (don't go in the local taxis, they will still you). But you have the subway, train and bus for almost everywhere. 

Day trips? CascaisSintra SetúbalMafraEriceira .... there's so much to see and experience, it will be bad to leave any place behind. 

Traditions... We like to eat and stay in a place with friends for long hours, one dinner usually takes around 2/3 hours. We like to eat and dring outsite while we speak with friends. We drink a lot of expressos and you will find at least 10 coffee houses in each street. If you ask for a coffee, you will be served an expresso, if you want a long one, ask for cafe americano :) 

We are proud to have the best fish and food in the world (well maybe one of the best) and the best wines, so enjoy :) 

Hope it helped, let me know if I can answer some questions for you. 

1. Lapa (attraction)
  2. Campo de Ourique (attraction)
  3. Parque das Nações (attraction)
  4. Campo Grande (attraction)
  5. Oeiras (city)
  6. Cascais (city)
  7. Lisbon (city)
  8. Sintra (attraction)
  9. Setúbal (attraction)
  10. Mafra (city)
  11. Ericeira (attraction)

António

Well, I'm not a tourist but I've always lived in Lisbon. This is a great city to travel. Besides having a mild climate, we have a great gastronomy, it is a beautiful and wonderful history city to explore with children. Regarding the place to stay, I would recommend a hotel in downtown Lisbon, because it will allow you to know much of the city on foot. You only have to take public transport, taxi or Uber to visit Belém and the most nostalgic zone of the city, Parque das Nações. Then I recommend a day trip to Sintra, another to Cascais and, if the trip is in the summer, enjoy the beaches around Lisbon. It sure will be a great trip. Walk around Lisbon, it's the best way to meet. 

Have a great trip!

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Belém (attraction)
  3. Parque das Nações (attraction)
  4. Sintra (attraction)
  5. Cascais (city)

Claudia from New York City

Hi Jeffrey,

March or April would be an excellent time to visit Lisbon. You'll get perfect weather, cheaper room rates and probably less tourists except during Holy Week.

My family and I stayed in Chiado for 4 nights and the Alfama area (by the old wall) for 2 nights. Both neighborhoods were close to restaurants and attractions. We walked everywhere while in Lisbon. If you're tired of walking; you can opt for the tram and tuk-tuk (3-wheeled motorized vehicle) for hire.

Guided day trips are available from Lisbon to Sintra, Cascais, Evora and Monsaraz in Alentejo, Obidos and nearby beaches. If you prefer to do things on your own, I suggest taking the train from Rossio Railway Station in Lisbon to Sintra (30 minutes each way) and from Cais do Sodre Station to Cascais (30 minutes each way).

Hope this info helps.

1. Chiado (attraction)
  2. Alfama (attraction)
  3. Rossio Railway Station (attraction)

Clay

My family is planning something similar for summer 2019 (so next year).

Do you have a blog or any place you're posting your trip (even better if it's real time -- we can enjoy it vicariously, and get the family pscyhed).

BTW, we are considering a side trip to Morocco as well as lots of other european locations.