Helmut
Sao Paulo

Lima (Peru)

One day in Lima

Hey all, I have a one-day stopover in Lima - arriving 9:30 a.m. on a Sunday, departing 10:00 on Monday. Have never been there...

- I'd like to see highlight or 2. I'd prefer some outdoor stuff or walking around in a nice, typical area rather than visiting a museum.

- what's the best area for a hotel, taking into account the transfer times to/from the airport?

- I love Peruvian food. Can you recommend a mid-priced, interesting restaurant?

Helmut

Lorraine

Miraflores is safe and clean, although 40 mins or so by taxi from airport. Many restaurants round Kennedy Park-try the one in Huaca Pucllana (temple complex), and good hotels.

If you want to stay round Callao where the airport is, it is not a particularly safe area,although can stay at airport hotel. However, if you want to try something outdoorsy, from Callao you can do a 4 hour boat trip (catamaran) to the Palomino islands, San Lorenzo Island, El Frontón, Cavinzas Island. Needs to be booked in advance (ecocruceros). Has English speaking guide-you will see seals, sea lions and may get to swim with them in provided wet suits, San Lorenzo has interesting history. Another company offers a tour by speedboat-not as comprehensive as catamaran tour. In Callao is a Naval Museum,which on Sundays only, includes a 30 minute boat ride in the harbour in its tour.

Just be careful in Callao-a poor area-they are trying to clean up their image, but best to be in tour groups round here.

1. Miraflores (city)
  2. Kennedy Park (attraction)
  3. Huaca Pucllana (attraction)
  4. Callao (city)
  5. Palomino (attraction)
  6. San Lorenzo Island (attraction)
  7. El Frontón (attraction)
  8. Cavinzas Island (attraction)

Rosa from Lima, Peru

I'm from Lima so I think the best area for hotels are in miraflores but are a little far from the airport, a taxi will cost you 40 soles that is about 14 dollars, while you are in Miraflores you can go to Larcomar and go to the Costa Verde, go to Barranco which is near
About restaurants, in that area there are plenty of them, a good seafood restaurant is La Mar but i don't remember if you need to make a reservation previously , however near the Kennedy Park( full of cats) which is also in miraflores you can find really good places.

1. Miraflores (attraction)
  2. Larcomar (attraction)
  3. Costa Verde (attraction)
  4. Barranco (attraction)
  5. La Mar (restaurant)
  6. Kennedy Park (attraction)

Renzo from London

24 hours in Lima is seriously brief for a metropolis of nearly 9 million people and 500 years of history. But it's better than none. Try to stay in either Miraflores or Barranco districts. They are both by the sea, and filled with bars, restaurants, shops, etc. Also very safe day and night. Head to the old town the morning you arrive and visit the main square, cathedral, Monastery of San Francisco convent, San Martín de Porres. That would take you at least 2-3 hours. Stop at Bar Cordano (200 yards from the main square and close to the old railway station) for a beer.  Have lunch in a cevicheria in Miraflores on your way back to the hotel ... you can try La Mar or El Mercado. Or perhaps Cala (right on the sea) if on a sunny day. Make a booking cause they are packed on Saturdays. Don't miss a generous glass of Pisco Sour. Walk back to the hotel along the pretty parks perched over the cliffs of Miraflores. Will help digestion and the ocean views are great. Have a nap and later spend the evening in lively Barranco. You'll be spoiled for choice when it comes to bars. Or perhaps head to a "Pena" for live Afro-Peruvian music. Make sure to allow at least 1 hour to get to the airport cause traffic is BAD.

1. Lima (attraction)
  2. Miraflores (city)
  3. Barranco (attraction)
  4. Monastery of San Francisco (attraction)
  5. San Martín de Porres (city)
  6. El Mercado (restaurant)
  7. Cala (restaurant)
  8. Pena (attraction)
  9. La Mar (restaurant)

Ethan

Miraflores Lima is a really nice neighborhood 30-45 minute taxi from the Jorge Chavez International Airport. The taxi will cost between S./ 35-60 to and from the airport. I paid around S./ 40 by leaving the airport parking lot and being picked up next to the major road outside the airport. I think this saves the taxi driver money by not having to enter the airport parking lot. But this will sometimes save you S./ 15-20

Kennedy Park is in this area. Also known as the cat park of Lima. Dozens of cats stay in the park during the day and a hundred or more sleep there at night. Very cool if you like cats. Lots of nice hostels and hotels near this park.

Also Huaca Pucllana is walking distance from Miraflores. An old clay pyramid. Right in the middle of the city. 

Im sure you can find some restaurants in this area of the city. Lots of options. I dont remember any specifically being amazing 

And the Larcomar is a cool mall that overlooks the ocean. Nice area to walk through.

1. Miraflores Lima (city)
  2. Jorge Chavez International Airport (attraction)
  3. Kennedy Park (attraction)
  4. Huaca Pucllana (attraction)
  5. Larcomar (attraction)

Ryan from Canmore

The main tourist area is Lima is called Miraflores, and unfortunately it is a long way from the airport, but I still think it is worth staying there instead of staying near the airport. I think the best thing about Lima is the food, specificall the seafood and there are a ton of great restaurants, so it's pretty easy to find a great one near you on TripAdvisor. I'd recommend one called Punto Azul Lima. For an nice way to spend the afternoon I would walk down to the ocean from Miraflores.

1. Punto Azul Lima (restaurant)

Gisela

In addition to the recommendations made by other users, I suggest that you visit the Convent of San Francisco, one of the main religious buildings in the city, declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco.  To visit its catacombs is a very curious and interesting visit.

In the area of Barranco, I recommend you to stroll around Puente de los SuspirosLa bajada or the viewpoint of Barranco, from where you will have wonderful views of the Pacific Ocean. Believe me, it's a really nice stroll.

The best areas for hotels are Miraflores and Barranco. There are alternatives for all types of tourists, from expensive hotels, mid-range to hostels.

The restaurants depend a little bit on what you want to spend. For me the TOPs are Maido, a restaurant of creative cuisine. Central Restaurante one of the best restaurants in Latin America that fuses Andean and indigenous cuisine with traditional cuisine and Astrid y Gastón Restaurante cuisine authored by Gastón Acurio, the most representative chef of Peruvian cuisine.

1. Convent of San Francisco (attraction)
  2. Puente de los Suspiros (attraction)
  3. La bajada (restaurant)
  4. Miraflores (city)
  5. Barranco (attraction)
  6. Maido (restaurant)
  7. Central Restaurante (restaurant)
  8. Astrid y Gastón Restaurante (restaurant)