Gustavo Andrés
Lima (Peru)

Lima (Peru)

Best way to go from Lima to Cusco, Peru

I'm in Lima, Peru and I'm planning to travel with two (female) friends to Cusco on Friday morning, what are the best choices and alternatives to get the best price - benefit deal. 

I mean, airplane, bus, hotels, hostels and towns nearby to get there and have a nice stay with not much expense. 

I specified female friends because I want them to feel the most comfortable possible. 

Thanks in advance. 

Carlos from Puerto Vallarta

Hey Gustavo, the best and comfortable way to travel to Cusco is by airplane, other way is a + 20 hours bus trip, I stayed at a very comfortable & great price hotel with a beautiful view of the Cuzco Valley, Don Bosco Hotel, www.donboscohotel.com have a great trip!

1. Cusco (city)
  2. Don Bosco Hotel (hotel)

K from San Francisco

Bus ride is sooooo long from Lima to Cusco.  I would splurge on the flight then stay in any of the well rated hostels in Cusco.  From Cusco you can definitely bus depending on where your next destination is.  I did a 10 hour tour bus to Lake Titicaca that stopped at different sites so was both a tour and a way to get to my next destination. 

1. Cusco (city)
  2. Lake Titicaca (region)

Michelle from New York City

I'm a huge advocate of the overnight bus-cama. I believe the trip is about 12 hours. You spend about 80 soles for a fully reclining fat mattress-like seat on a bus. They show a movie, serve dinner, tea, etc. You fall asleep and wake up winding through the Andes as you cruise into Cuzco. They even play a soundtrack as you arrive, for impact. My favorite company is Cromotex: http://www.cromotex.com.pe/

Omar from New Bern, North Carolina

This was ten years ago, but the train was a great sight seeing adventure to Cusco

1. Cusco (city)