Ronnie
Houston

Las Vegas, The Caribbean

Las Vegas vs. Caribbean Cruise

I am torn between an all inclusive resort, 5 day Caribbean cruise, or Las Vegas. I have been to Vegas, love it everytime and have been on 1 4-day cruise to Mexico, not impressed with Mexico or Carnival but willing to do it again. It's for me and my wife and we do not drink but wife loves slot machines, too much, sometimes.

Spencer from Los Angeles

Two pretty different trips. I love Vegas, but also love the Caribbean, but I like it more for staying for a few days and getting out on the water, rather than stopping at cruise ports. If you want both worlds, Aruba is one of the better gaming destinations in the Caribbean, with a number of casinos. Sounds like based off your interests, Vegas may be a better option. There are some great new hotels that have gone in recently in Vegas like Delano Las Vegas, which took over TheHotel at Mandalay Bay. Best hotel on the South Strip in my opinion. CityCenter is where I like staying the most, but there are some really unique things happening in DTLV, like the Neon MuseumThe Mob MuseumDowntown Container Park

1. Delano Las Vegas (hotel)
  2. Neon Museum (attraction)
  3. The Mob Museum (attraction)
  4. Downtown Container Park (attraction)

Mary from Huron, Ohio

I am a great person to answer this question -- I have been on 2 Caribbean cruises, have been to an all inclusive, and have been to Vegas about 10 times.  The all inclusive is great if you just want to hang out and use the amenities of the resort but not if you really want to see the local area you are visiting.  The cruise is great if you want to see a lot of different places or try different activities.  If you do Caribbean, I was not a fan of the Bahamas (lots of people asking for money or trying to get you to buy something in Nassau) but we did an eastern Caribbean that visited St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, and St Maarten and it was fantastic.  Vegas is always great, but it's Vegas -- gambling, shopping, food, shows.  You need to decide how active you want to be on this trip and what your goal is.  Do you want to lay by the pool or on a beach?  Snorkel or see a Cirque show?

1. Bahamas (attraction)
  2. Nassau (city)
  3. St Thomas (city)
  4. Barbados (country)
  5. St Lucia (country)
  6. St Maarten (city)

William from West Bend

Considering you aren't drinkers a seven night cruise is by far the best deal. Dining is included. Casino only steps away from your room.  Las Vegas style entertainment included in the rate. A chance to visit a few new cities. Go for it! If you need a hand selecting a great ship or itinerary let me know. Happy sailing!

John from Casper

For romance it has to be the all inclusive destination; plenty of  activities and new experiences or quiet walks or escapes.  In addition you get to know the area if you venture ( which I suggest) away from the resort. JamaicaJamaica's all inclusives are fantastic and probably not a bad flight connection form Houston to Miami to Jamaica.  I love Jamaica!

However Las Vegas has it all for a more upbeat, active sort of get away. Innumerable shows, check out the relatively new Las VegasSmith Center, or the offerings of any number of Casinos.  Also you can take a break and go to Red Rocks Canyon to keep active, escape the slots and see some great scenery - the park service exhibit is great.  Food, if you have been there, you know the hardest job is to make a choice.

My bias, we are not cruise people.  Enjoy

1. Jamaica (country)
  2. Las Vegas (city)

Go on the cruise! U can do Vegas anytime. Carribean will be beautiful n it's all inclusuve. No brainer!

Einn from California

Having never been to an all inclusive resort, my pick between Vegas or Cruise, would be the Caribbean Cruise!  There are ships that sail out of Galveston, so that might save a little on flights since you're from Texas. If Carnival didn't work out for you, you could always try a different cruise line - Princess, Royal Caribbean or Disney. Cruise ships have casinos onboard as well, although I believe they take more than they give... ;)

1. Galveston (city)

ronald from Roanoke

Las Vegas has the best of everything. my favorite place.

1. Las Vegas (city)

Jim from Birmingham (Alabama)

Not sure I really understand your question, but based on your statement, why would you not go back to Las Vegas?  Plus, it's 10x better than a cruise or all-inclusive!!!  Have you thought of New Orleans?

1. Las Vegas (city)
  2. New Orleans (city)

Sue from Daytona Beach

Caribbean Cruise, hands down. Maybe try a different cruise line. How much time do you have? What time of the year are you traveling? What port do you want to sail out of? Pacific side of Mexico is not Caribbean, there is so much more on the Caribbean side. Do you dive or snorkel? Some of the best times we have had were in the water in the Caribbean. If you can go out of Florida and hit the smaller islands like Grenada or St Lucia or Dominica or even San Juan! If you go to St. Thomas take the ferry over to St John. MSC is a good cruise line to try out. If you want the Mega-Ships try Norwegian or Princess cruise lines.

1. Grenada (country)
  2. St Lucia (country)
  3. Dominica (country)
  4. San Juan (city)
  5. St John (island)

Marie from Las Vegas

Hi Ronnie,

For the all inclusive, how much extra are you paying for alcohol that you will not drink? To me an all inclusive sounds great, but are you getting any bang for your buck?

For the cruise, I'm a big cruiser. You can get slot machines (and a full casino) on most cruise lines. A 4-day cruise is usually a drunken party boat where a 7-days cruise is not quite that way due to a larger cost to sail, more days to drink so that cost rises etc. Also, depending on the cruise line you pick, you'll find better ships, different ages of cruisers, etc. I don't have an issue with Carnival, but you may want to try a different line for another experience. You can pick a Caribbean cruise and hit the beaches all day for a sort of "best of both worlds" experience.

As far as Vegas, what can I say since I live here. As you know there is a lot to do from sitting by the pool to the casino and shows at night. 

What time of the year are you thinking of traveling?

Marie