Katrina
South Australia

Las Vegas, Death Valley National Park

Las Vegas or Death Valley for stopover on way to Yosemite?

Hi There, 

My husband and I will be driving from Grand Canyon NP to Yosemite National Park (October) and we want to break up the road trip with a one night stop over. Would love to hear suggestions on whether Las Vegas or a stop in Death Valley would be better (or perhaps somewhere entirely different)?

Thanks :)

Kat

Paul

Hey, 

These two are totally different... My experience is, you need to drive through Death Valley. I've stayed in Barstow and in Beatty, but both on different trips, I can tell you that's nothing special but not having to drive at night. The drive is pretty amazing though can also get slow, watch out when you're speeding, the popos call it 'already gambling'! 

The stay in Vegas is always a comfort, you pay just as much as anywhere for ten times the luxury. All parking is free and an easy get in and out for driving through. If you like Las Vegas I guess you'd have some fun as well, or just sit at a bar and watch all the funnybunnies walk the casino floor. The strip is fun to see 'been there done that', though always a cheap stop as well. 

If you're traveling to Grand Canyon National Park, try staying to the north and stay a night in Hurricane, nice small town and not too expensive nice places. 

Can't give you any other places, depending on your route though. What's your destination after that?

1. Death Valley (attraction)
  2. Barstow (city)
  3. Beatty (city)
  4. Las Vegas (city)
  5. Grand Canyon National Park (park)

Frank from Las Vegas

If it's just for one night then stay in Las Vegas. There is too much to see at Death Valley. Or maybe a night in DV would entice you two to come back and visit it at a later date. Personally I'd do the over night in Vegas. 

1. Las Vegas (city)
  2. Death Valley (attraction)