Hannah
Milwaukee

Las Vegas

What else is there to do in Las Vegas besides going out on the strip?

Are there any other fun things to do in Las Vegas that are off the strip?  My friends want to go there, but I don't want to spend our entire time on the strip. I'm willing to make a little drive outside of the city if there are any suggestions! 

Brenda from Knox, Pennsylvania

North of the strip is Fremont Street Experience. Especially fun at night! 

If you don't mind driving an hour or so, there is Hoover Dam and further out is Grand Canyon Skywalk.

I've been to the Grand Canyon Skywalk twice int the past two years. It is amazing every time!!

1. Fremont Street Experience (attraction)
  2. Hoover Dam (attraction)
  3. Grand Canyon Skywalk (attraction)

Katie from Portland

It looks as though we all agree the Hoover Dam is a great off-strip adventure. I would also advocate for the one-hour dam tour. Although you can learn a ton in the Exhibit Gallery and enjoy stunning views from the Observation Deck or on top of the dam, there's something special about seeing this engineering marvel from the interior. The inspection tunnels provide a close-up understanding of how the dam was made and how it continues to be maintained. You'll be able to examine the seams between concrete blocks, which clearly show wood grain impressions left by the molds, and trace maintenance workers' notes about cracks being monitored through the years. If you aren't afraid of heights (I am!), stop at the Mike O'Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge for stomach-dropping views of the dam, power plant and Lake Mead from above.

Downtown Las Vegas holds several goodies for those of us who want some off-strip fun. Start by powering up with brunch at eat. If there's a long wait, don't dismay - the food is worth waiting for and you can pass the time at the Downtown Container Park across the street. Grab a coffee/snack, browse the shops and check out the sculptures.

I'm a big fan of the The Mob Museum, which is located in the former federal building. It's a well-curated and effectively-presented collection. I was surprised by how much I wanted to read and how I got sucked into the interactive elements. If you're interested in the mob story and want to see it told well, plan to spend at least a couple of hours here.

The Neon Boneyard complements the Mob Museum in helping bring to light Las Vegas' very colorful past. I waffled between a daytime and nighttime tour (about one hour either way), and think each has its advantages. I took a late afternoon tour and appreciated being able to get the full impact of the signs' colors, textures and details. The tour narrative takes you through a who's who of the city's past, plays out who was connected to whom and explains how business used to be done. It's a memorable, amusing, visually impactful lens on history.

There's a combo ticket for the Mob Museum and the Neon Boneyard that's a good deal, if you're interested in both of these sights.

The Fremont Street Experience is particularly fun after dark when you can get the full impact of neon signs, feathered show girls, casino hosts' hustle and the screams of people zip lining over head.

1. Hoover Dam (attraction)
  2. Mike O'Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge (attraction)
  3. eat. (restaurant)
  4. Downtown Container Park (attraction)
  5. The Mob Museum (attraction)
  6. Neon Boneyard (attraction)
  7. Fremont Street Experience (attraction)

Diana

There are so many great things to do off the Strip. Head Downtown to check out the cool and quirky spots like Downtown Container Park or the Arts District. You can also go to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area and hike or just drive around, Mount Charleston (the highest peak in So. Nev.), Bonnie Springs -- a ghost town, Lake Mead, the adorable Boulder City and more. I've written a lot about Vegas and stuff to do. You can check posts here: http://www.dtravelsround.com/search/las+vegas

1. Downtown Container Park (attraction)
  2. Arts District (neighborhood)
  3. Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area (attraction)
  4. Mount Charleston (city)
  5. Bonnie Springs (attraction)
  6. Lake Mead (attraction)
  7. Boulder City (city)

Herminia from Wichita

You can book a bus tour to the Grand Canyon, Red Rock, the Colorado River or to the Hoover Dam. Hop on the city bus to Fremont Street Experience (just north of the strip) for nightlife in the old strip. 

1. Grand Canyon (attraction)
  2. Red Rock (attraction)
  3. Colorado River (attraction)
  4. Hoover Dam (attraction)
  5. Fremont Street Experience (attraction)

Jason from Edmond

I have to recommend the Hoover Dam.  It is truly a marvel of engineering and well worth the short drive out to see it.  

1. Hoover Dam (attraction)

Brian from Cedar Park

Hoover Damis the only thing I've done outside the city, but it's worth a visit. The helicopter tours look interesting, but I haven't given them a try.

I think you might be able to find a Grand Canyon day trip, but not sure.

Also, The Egg & I is an amazing breakfast off strip.

If you're young and hip, you might try Rehab in The Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, also off strip. I've never been there as I'm not willing to spend the money it would take to get someone as old and unhip as I am in there.

1. Hoover Dam (attraction)
  2. Grand Canyon (attraction)
  3. The Egg & I (restaurant)
  4. Rehab (restaurant)
  5. The Hard Rock Hotel & Casino (hotel)

Denise from New York, New York

1. Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area (attraction)
  2. Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa (hotel)
  3. Mount Charleston (city)
  4. Lake Mead (attraction)
  5. Downtown Container Park (attraction)