Casey
Cambridge (Massachusetts)

Las Vegas

What are the other parts of Vegas away from the strip?

I’ll be in Sin City for business next month and I'm hoping to have a little vacation mixed in. For the business part, I have to stay in a hotel on the strip and I already have that figured out, but for the vacation part, I’d like to find something off it.  

Is the strip pretty much it, or are there other Vegas neighborhoods and hotels you would recommend?  I've only ever visited the strip, so I'm curious to see other parts of Vegas if there are any worth seeing.

Keith from Denver

Head to Henderson and check out  Ravella.  It's a resort that's just a 20 minute drive from  Las Vegas.  I heard that it was once a Ritz Carlton property and it definitely looks the part.  I just looked it up again and it looks like Hilton has recently acquired it.  

It doesn't feel like you're in the middle of the desert at all and it actually feels more like a tropical island village than anything.  There's a huge pool, private "beach", plus great restaurants and a spa.  There's plenty of things to do outside of the resort in Henderson as well and it's a fairly short trip back to Vegas.

1. Ravella (hotel)
  2. Las Vegas (city)

Pattie from Boise

As others have said, Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa is easy-to-get-to and worth an afternoon off the pavement. Having lived in Vegas for 5 years and visited it many times before and since, I'd say my least favorite part of the town is the actual Strip.  Get out to Lake Mead and go on a brunch Paddle Boat tour; tour the Hoover Dam, including crawling around inside on a Headlamp tour; venture north of Vegas about 30 minutes and rent ATVs to explore the sand trails and petroglyphs. Just off the strip on Desert Road I think is the Ethel M Chocolate Factory & Cactus Garden. Its good for an hour to tour and taste chocolate, then check out the adjoining cactus garden. Small but interesting if you like that sort of thing.  We often took visitors there, especially if they had kids. For adults, there are several places that have great fast go karts and laser tag. For any of these, get as far off the strip as you can, and you'll eat better, get better treatment and park closer.

1. Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa (hotel)
  2. Lake Mead (attraction)
  3. Hoover Dam (attraction)
  4. Ethel M Chocolate Factory & Cactus Garden (attraction)

James from Bon Aqua

In Henderson, there is the Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa, the Green Valley Ranch Resort & Spa, there is the Sunset Station Hotel And Casino, If you are into Bass Pro Shops, there is the Silverton Casino and Lodge, which has a really neat aquarium inside, there is Mt Charleston, but before you drive up to it check and make sure that the roads there have been fixed a lot of the roads in that area were destroyed last summer during the flash flooding that they had in the area!

1. Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa (hotel)
  2. Green Valley Ranch Resort & Spa (hotel)
  3. Mt Charleston (attraction)
  4. Sunset Station Hotel And Casino (attraction)
  5. Bass Pro Shops (attraction)
  6. Silverton Casino and Lodge (attraction)

Sherri from United States

Rent a car and take a short drive out to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.  On my fourth visit to Vegas I wanted to do something away from the Strip so I googled things to do in Vegas and this one of the locations that came up.  I checked the directions and it was a short 45 minute drive from our Bally's hotel.  One of my best friends has been living in Vegas for about a year now so I brought her with me and just recently she took her new husband there to see the beautiful landscape this conservation has to offer.

1. Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area (attraction)

Ernest

Check out Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa. It's the only 5 star casino off the strip. And their pool ladies and boys are really hot.

1. Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa (hotel)

Chuck from Arizona

Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa is very nice on the North/West part of town.... also The Reserve Resort is on the south west of town, off the strip.  It's all pretty much the same experience no matter where you stay, it's just a matter of type of crowds.  I lived on the NW side of town for 4 years & almost never went to the strip except for occasional shows.   Summerlin also has some very nice places to stay where you are away from many of the tourist traps, 2 very nice golf courses & lots of good places to eat!  Hope that helps!

1. Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa (hotel)
  2. The Reserve Resort (hotel)
  3. Summerlin (attraction)

John from Las Vegas

In-N-Out Burger and Fremont Street Experience, neither of which aren't too far from the strip, has a whole bunch of stores and restaurants. They have started to make the area a bit more "artsy". In fact, if you are here during the first friday of April (the fourth) then you can attend a majorly fun event called first friday. Downtown Las Vegas, the places to eat are Lola's for a Louisiana taste, the Heart Attack Grill for a novelty, eat. (thats the name, very indie), and Hofbräuhaus Las Vegas (Bavarian).

1. In-N-Out Burger (restaurant)
  2. Downtown Las Vegas (attraction)
  3. Lola's (attraction)
  4. Heart Attack Grill (restaurant)
  5. Hofbräuhaus Las Vegas (restaurant)
  6. eat. (restaurant)
  7. Fremont Street Experience (attraction)