Ava
Manhattan Beach

Las Vegas

What are kid-friendly activities to do in Las Vegas?

I am considering taking my family of four (kid ages are 5 and 3) and joining my friend with her 2 year old for a two-day Vegas trip. In August. What are some fun things to do with them and which hotels would be better for a family? I don't usually like tourist attractions but can suck it up for two days if that's they have. We live in LA so I could probably get a quick flight unless I need my car.

Chris from New York City

I've probably been to Vegas 25 or more times but I've never brought my kids.  That said there are some things that your kids might find enjoyable if its a city you really want to visit. Keep in mind Vegas in August is brutally hot and your kids may not be up for walking around too much.

For hotels you might want to look at some of the non-gaming or non-smoking hotels such as Vdara Hotel & Spa Las VegasVdara Hotel & Spa Las Vegas, Trump International Hotel Las Vegas and The Signature at MGM Grand  All of the ones I mention above have kitchens and are bigger than average hotel rooms. 

For things to do I'd start with the hotel pools and maybe Wet N Wild (just opened) to keep them cool.  The stratosphere and new giant ferris wheel are a great way to see the city from above.  There are a couple of animal attractions with the aquarium / shark exhibit at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino and Siegfried & Roy's Secret Garden & Dolphin Habitat.  I think this is mostly for older kids but there are rids and games at Circus Circus Dr Hotel.  

Remember that pretty much every casino requires you to walk through the casino to get anywhere and your kids will be exposed to everything Vegas so depending on the time of day that might be drunk people, club goers, smokers, etc.  Those are all things I love about Vegas but I think my kids will be a little older before I bring them out there.

Hope that helps.

Mike from Camarillo

Stay Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. Better yet, get a suite at THEhotel, right next door. Mandalay Bay has the best pools in Vegas, including a really nice kids pool and lazy river. Your kids are probably too young, but mine love the wave pool. Mandalay Bay is at the south end of the strip, so you can avoid some of the Vegas craziness. 

1. Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino (hotel)
  2. THEhotel (hotel)

Marie from Las Vegas

My nieces love Discovery Children's Museum which is near downtown. If you are a museum member in another state, see if you have reciprocal rights for a 50% discount. If you stay at a hotel with a pool try Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino as they have a part of the pool that is kid friendly. If you don't need to stay at a hotel with casino, Tahiti Village Resort and Spa is much more family friendly and full of kids and have activities that they'll enjoy like movie night.  They have a "beach" area at the pool and a lazy river with different size inner tubes. It's great since it's a time share you have kitchen facilities. Also, they have a shuttle to the strip and the grocery store so a car isn't a requirement. If you want a true water park, try Wet 'n' Wild Las Vegas. If you want to go hiking try Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area although you will need a car. You can also hike at Valley of Fire State Park or Mount Charleston. If you want to gamble but don't know what to do with the kids,Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa has a kids playroom where you can drop them off for a few hours of babysitting. 

Nilufer from Istanbul

we had our honeymoon at Las Vegas Vdara Hotel & Spa Las Vegas. The hotel is amazing for us. Yet, I had the chance of visiting Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino and I bet, Mandalay Bay could be the right choice for families with kids if you care more about pool areas :) facilities are also great. But I do not have any idea about rooms. I can just give you some tips about the hotels that you should not go with kids:) So, if you want to book a hotel on strip, then Vdara Hotel & Spa Las Vegas,Encore at Wynn Las Vegas,Wynn Hotel Las Vegas ,ARIA Resort & Casino and The Cosmopolitan are more suitable for adults. You may also check Paris Las Vegas, New York New York Hotel & Casino and Luxor Hotel and Casino on strip. New York-New York  is rich enough on token games, playgrounds and roller-coasters...you may be bored of American style :) so it is better to try Luxor for giant pyramids, areas to walk, food areas, shopping places are attractive...Enjoy Las Vegas..anyway some photos may give an idea...

Vdara Hotel- our suite room and the view from 45th floor :)

Luxor Hotel

New York-New York HotelThe Paris Hotel

Jessie from San Jose (California)

I go to Vegas 5-6 times a year and at least 2 of those times I bring my kids.  Like the other responses, you have your main stuff for kids to enjoy, but your young ones probably can't ride a lot of the rides in the theme park areas.  Your kids may get a kick out of the family friendly stuff like Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay, M&m's World, or even Family Fun Center. There is another fun center The Orleans Hotel & Casino that even has a bowling alley.  At their age fun is walking around watching the lights and stuff.  Since the strip can get really crowded walking up and down the sidewalks take them to the old vegas strip downtown that is covered Fremont Street Experience.  The road is blocked so you have plenty of room to walk around and they often have free concerts going on so the kiddos can get out and dance. 

I would also recommend picking a hotel that has an excellent pool. 

Lastly, for your kid's ages, I recommend driving from LA unless you enjoy lugging car seats on / off the plane and using rental cars.  It just makes it easier and the drive from LA isn't that bad.

1. Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay (attraction)
  2. M&m's World (restaurant)
  3. Family Fun Center (attraction)
  4. The Orleans Hotel & Casino (hotel)
  5. Fremont Street Experience (attraction)

lola from Atlanta

The Stratosphere Tower has a few exhilarating rides that may interest the kids. Some of the Cirque du Soleil shows are also kid-friendly...check out the buffets too, cant beat unlimited food!

1. Stratosphere Tower (attraction)
  2. Cirque du Soleil (attraction)

Gary

If you want to see another side of Vegas rent a car and drive around Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, a beautiful mountain-desert park 30 minutes from the Las Vegas Strip. Lots of trails to explore and scenic overlooks. Can get crowded on the weekends. Can also rent a bike and tackle a majestic 13 mile bike loop.

1. Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area (attraction)
  2. Las Vegas Strip (attraction)

When my parents took my siblings and I to Vegas way back in the day, we always stayed at Circus Circus Hotel & Casino.  Probably one of the more kid-friendly spots on the strip.  I know it's not the highest rated spot, but I remember loving the arcade and the buffet as a kid.

One other cool one would be the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino.  They have the Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay inside!