Valerie
Burnsville

Las Vegas

Transportation to the MGM from another hotel?

Anyone have feedback on getting to the MGM venue, Grand Garden Arena from other hotels within walking distance or monorail?  Considering a stay at the Luxor or other hotel like the Hilton up near the convention center from the monorail.  Is the monorail station at the MGM pretty convenient to the arena?  Would it be worth it to rent a car, stay at a cheap hotel away from the strip and drive in to this venue/arena? (will be going to go to the arena 4 days in a row and not too interested in touring the strip).  Not sure it that will be a hassle and will be easier to just pay $200 a night to stay at MGM or nearby Tropicana(?) Advice!

Marie from Las Vegas

The monorail stops at the various hotels on the east side of the strip. The stations are always at the back of the properties and can be quite a walk to get to where you are headed. However, with that said, if you wanted a less expensive hotel such as the old Hilton, then the LVH, and now called the Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino then this may be a less expensive option for you. You wouldn't have to deal with parking, but this hotel is a bit out of the way if you want to spend anytime on the strip which you said you didn't really want to do. A car would give you more options since the area around the Westgate I don't walk in and wouldn't let my friends walk, but that's just me. But as a hotel, it's just fine. Also the Monorail does not run all night so be sure to check the times. Of course you could always take a cab.

Around the MGM, there are a lot of strip hotels as the others have mentioned. There is also a "Marriott corridor" with Fairfield Inn & Suites Las Vegas South and Residence Inn Las Vegas South. There is another hotel in the same parking lot, but I cannot think of the name of it.  While not far away, i would recommend a car only because I don't know how often a cab is available due to the location. This is a bit off the beaten path and on the other side of the freeway from the strip. There are no restaurants right in that area so a car would help you out tremendously. 

1. Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino (hotel)
  2. Fairfield Inn & Suites Las Vegas South (hotel)
  3. Residence Inn Las Vegas South (hotel)

Spencer from Los Angeles

So I've been to Vegas 20+ times and I've never rented a car. I would recommend what you said, either staying at the MGM Resorts International or Tropicana Las Vegas, or even just up a little ways at CityCenter at somewhere like the ARIA Resort & Casino (my favorite Strip hotel, but can be a little pricey). The Strip is really walkable as long as you don't have heels and don't mind walking, except in the summer, when you turn into a raisin. What I always tell people is to draw a circle around the place you expect to spend the most time in Vegas, and then stay somewhere that's within that circle (or pretty close to it). Taxis are how most people get around, but you don't want to do too much taxiing, since it can get expensive when you factor in traffic on the Strip. 

1. MGM Resorts International (hotel)
  2. Tropicana Las Vegas (hotel)
  3. ARIA Resort & Casino (hotel)

Always stay on the Strip. The Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on the Las Vegas Strip to the MGM Grand Las Vegas is the only place the monorail is effective. The monorail ends up close to MGM food court and the arena. It is a hard walk from The Hilton to the Strip. Motel 6/Tropicana Las Vegas is close to MGM. Very nice casino owned by MGM. Taxis all over. Shuttles to hotel from airport. If you see limos at airport ask the price. Find where the shuttle pick up is. The Excaliburis close to MGM. I don't rent cars there. No need. Expect long walks. Beware, long walk to nearest bathroom when show is over.