Erik
Boston

Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Utah, Nevada

Driving from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City- what National parks to visit?

I have the opportunity to drive from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City, I'd like to stop and check out one of the national parks along the way.  Which park would you recommend and where is the best place to stop to explore for an hour or two?

David from Spanish Fork, Utah

Zion National Park is the most convenient because it is not far off of I-15 and it is Gorgeous. Bryce Canyon National Park is my favorite national park but it will take you a couple of extra hours because it is further off of I-15. You may want to consider Cedar Breaks National Monument. This has similar formations to Bryce Canyon and is very spectacular. Cedar Breaks is also closer to I-15 which will be more convenient traveling between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. The one thing to consider with Cedar Breaks is that there are summer and winter hours. I believe the summer hours begin sometime in mid-May and go through mid October. 

1. Zion National Park (park)
  2. Bryce Canyon National Park (park)
  3. Cedar Breaks National Monument (attraction)
  4. Las Vegas (city)
  5. Salt Lake City (city)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Erik!  For the route you are taking, I would suggest either Bryce, or Zion. With your limited time, I would lean towards Bryce.  It has a 30ish mile loop that Is probably the best use of a few hours, with great vantage points to view the hoodoos.  Safe travels!

Brett from Sandy, Utah

Zion National Park is awesome. You could probably do one of the hikes there in a couple hours. There's also Bryce Canyon National Park, but I feel like that one might be a little bit further off the path.

1. Zion National Park (park)
  2. Bryce Canyon National Park (park)

Ann from Austin (Texas)

We were in Zion National Park  two months ago.  Just be aware..so you are not surprised... That after a certain date in May (it may be seriously soon) no private vehicles are allowed past the visitors center. You have to park and ride n p busses.  In addition to the n p busses you have to park and board to enter the park, there are many tour busses who enter fully loaded. And the locals tell us that there is seriously not enough parking at the visitors center and people are parking all over Springdale during the popular months.

also...and this was a disappointment to us..as beautiful as the park is, the gorgeous pictures you see are from hikes that are long and strenuous and not accessible for everyone, especially for someone with limited time.

1. Zion National Park (park)

Tony from Elizabeth, New Jersey

Zion National Park is on your way back but I don't know if 2 hours is enough.  Plan a trip to Arches National Park in the future too. 

1. Zion National Park (park)
  2. Arches National Park (park)

Adrian from Salt Lake City

If you literally only have an hour or two, you could check out the Kolob Canyons Visitor Center area of Zion. It is spectacular, very easy access from I-15, and gets less traffic than the main canyon of Zion National Park.

Unfortunately, there is no way you will get in and out of the main canyon of Zion in less than a few hours. It is a zoo in the summer months and you have to use the bus system to get in/out of the canyon proper.

If you don't mind tacking on 3-5 hours to your drive, and seeing things from the car, I would drive into Zion and out the East side of the park, then swing by Bryce Canyon National Park and stop at a couple of the main view points.

Enjoy, it's a beautiful drive!

Ric from Las Vegas