Jim
Lexington, Kentucky

Jim from Lexington, Kentucky asked

Best unique places to eat off the strip for about $15/plate?

I'll be in Vegas for a couple of days next month. I've been a few times before and stayed on the strip. I've heard there is a great and growing food scene off the strip, so I'd like to explore out a bit and avoid the monstrous atmosphere and prices I've seen/done before.

I'm up for pretty much anything, typically the more unique the better, and I'd like to keep the budget fairly reasonable. What are some of your favorite hole in the wall/ethnic places that I won't find anywhere else?

Las Vegas (Nevada)

Lila from Las Vegas

Well, I feel like this question was designed just for me!  I write a SEAsian food blog that explores SEAsian cuisine in Las Vegas and other parts of the country.  I write specifically about mom and pop owned eateries and you can discover more at my blog : www.seasiaeats.com

I am from Malaysia so if you've never tried Malaysian cuisine you're in for a treat.  Island Malaysian Cuisine has a wonderful selection at very reasonable prices that fit your budget.  http://www.seasiaeats.com/eating-malaysian-in-las-vegas/

Islands is located in Las Vegas Chinatown which is mostly on Spring Mountain Road. For Vietnamese food I like Pho Saigon 8.

http://www.seasiaeats.com/pho-saigon-8/

Another very exciting dining scene is Downtown Las Vegas and Carson Kitchen is my favorite eatery there.  Modern American cuisine with a cool, relaxed vibe and all to be had at under $15/plate.  Great bar too with good beer, wine and cocktail selection.

One of my new discoveries and personal favorite is Other Mama.  It is a classic American fusion restaurant; one of those only in America experiences.  The owner is a Marimoto alumnae so expect to be delighted and sated with the majority of entrees also coming under $15.  Also really fun cocktails at $10 and under.  

You are right to want to explore the dining scene off the strip.  It is more varied, the prices more reasonable with a great atmosphere and a chance to mingle with some very friendly locals.  Have fun in Vegas!

1. Island Malaysian Cuisine (restaurant)
  2. Las Vegas Chinatown (attraction)
  3. Pho Saigon 8 (restaurant)
  4. Downtown (attraction)
  5. Carson Kitchen (restaurant)
  6. Other Mama (restaurant)
Lauren from Chicago

Jim-

Lotus of Siam has some of the best Thai I've ever eaten and they also have a ton of great wines at super reasonable prices. It's off the strip in a somewhat sketchy looking strip mall, but it is a popular spot-I'd arrive near opening time if you want to avoid a wait. 

1. Lotus of Siam (restaurant)
Spencer from Los Angeles

Without a shadow of a doubt, head to DTLV. No, not the Fremont Street Experience, but more of Fremont East. Some great eats at the new Downtown Container Park, like Pinches TacosBig Ern's BBQ is just okay, but I'm from the Carolinas, so I have high expectations for BBQ that aren't often met.

If you like Thai, Le Thai is a great spot, and they have $8 cocktails. And for pizza, go to Pizza Rock. Rock'N'oodles is a great noodle shop. 

I have a number of other off-Strip recommendations in this post I did on 40 things to do off the Vegas Strip:

http://whiskeytangoglobetrot.com/las-vegas/

1. Downtown Container Park (attraction)
  2. Pinches Tacos (restaurant)
  3. Big Ern's BBQ (restaurant)
  4. Le Thai (restaurant)
  5. Pizza Rock (restaurant)
  6. Rock'N'oodles (restaurant)