JR
Manhattan Beach

Las Vegas

Best restaurants for foodies?

I'm heading to Vegas for a conference and I need to impress a small group of snooty/foodie types with some great dinner reservations. 

Criteria:

• location: we will be staying at the Bellagio so bonus points for nearby
  • budget: None! They will be paying so I don't care. Go crazy.
  • type: anything goes, but probably want to stay away from tasting menus because we will likely have a limited time frame. 
  • new: They'd prefer something newer/hipper/fresher over an old standby. 

Thanks in advance guys!!

Tim from Los Angeles

Le Cirque has been a hit for some of our more food-inclined groups in the past. It's not super new but has been consistently good. If your group is from NYC you might want to avoid this as it's kind of old-guard, uncool and savaged in the NYC press. 

L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon is again not new but reliably good. Don't confuse with Joël Robuchonwhich is right next door and is basically a 3-4+ hour commitment. Delicious but not great.

If there's a yen for beef, Delmonico Steakhouseand Craftsteak are good. The latter will do a presentation of all their cuts for a group which is actually pretty fun - everything from ribeyes to filet to pot roast and skirt steak, all with their own prep. 

CarneVino Italian Steakhouse doesn't get much love but most Batali spots I've hit never fail to satisfy. 

1. Le Cirque (restaurant)
  2. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon (restaurant)
  3. Joël Robuchon (restaurant)
  4. Delmonico Steakhouse (restaurant)
  5. Craftsteak (restaurant)
  6. CarneVino Italian Steakhouse (restaurant)

Brian from Cedar Park

Neither is new, but I love Shibuya in the MGM for sushi and the Strip Housein Planet Hollywood for steak.

barMASA in Aria has gotten a lot of press, but reviews are mixed. Haven't eaten there yet, but my guess is that it's good, but over priced.

I've heard good things abou Giada, and hope to try it when I'm in town next week.

Guy Fieri's place is certainly hot, but I haven't had a chance to try it, or heard too many details.

Just a quick update: I did make it to Giada for a solo lunch. From the cheese plate and small pizza that I tried, it lives up to the hype. My only recommendation is to bring multiple people so you can try more things.

1. Shibuya (restaurant)
  2. Strip House (restaurant)
  3. barMASA (restaurant)
  4. Giada (restaurant)

John from Carlsbad (California)

I would go with Twist (inside Mandarin Oriental) if you want newer and someone else is paying.   In the Bellagio, I think the older Picaso is also a very fine restaurant.  I also agree with Tim on L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon and Le Cirque.  I'm jealous.

1. Twist (inside Mandarin Oriental) (restaurant)
  2. Picaso (restaurant)
  3. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon (restaurant)
  4. Le Cirque (restaurant)

J from Upper Bukit Timah, Singapore

Michael Mina...stellar food from a top-notch chef, and inside the Bellagio.  If you call ahead for reservations and tell them it's an important client meeting, they will likely recognize you well upon arrival ;-). 

1. Michael Mina (restaurant)

Mary from Huron, Ohio

You have to try Tom Colicchio's Heritage Steak -- it was my favorite meal in all of my Vegas trips -- even better if you aren't paying.  :)  The bone marrow appetizer was my favorite.

1. Tom Colicchio's Heritage Steak (restaurant)

John from Casper

You and your lucky friends are in for a treat.  The first restaurant the came to mind is Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegasl : try Twist (inside Mandarin Oriental).  It has great food, certainly hipper than most and is very near the Bellagio.   The newest restaurant  on the Strip and Ms. De Laurentiis' first restaurant is Giada; Ms. De Laurentiis has incorporated freshness into her Italian heritage. I think either or BOTH of these options with some good conversation, near perfection.

1. Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas (hotel)
  2. Twist (inside Mandarin Oriental) (restaurant)
  3. Giada (restaurant)