Zac
Dubrovnik

Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand

If you had 6 weeks in S.E. Asia, where would YOU go?

We are spending 24 days in Chiang Mai and then don't have to be back to Thailand to catch a flight for 6 weeks.

Is it pushing it to try to go to Laos, Vietnam and then Cambodia before spending a week in Bangkok?

Thanks in advance!

Zac

Joel from Byron Bay

Hey Zac!!

Thats an awesome place to leave from! Me and some mates went from Chang Mai across into northern Loas to a place called Nong KhiawFrom Nong Khiaw we boated down the river to Luang Prabang fantastic we then continued on to Vang Vieng and then Vientiane....

We did this with a company called Stray Bus which I now book through our website... they changed the trip a bit but it's still pretty similar.

Laos is a must it is so amazing. We flew to Hanoi from there but if I had the time i would have gone down to Don Det the pass with Stray is a great itinerary to follow weather you do the pass or not. 

You can then go down toward Cambodia to explore there check out Siem Reap and nearby Angkor WatKrong Battambang Krong Preah Sihanouk Phnom Penh etc.

If I had the time that's the way I would go. Because you could then go down toward the end of the Mekong River and then up to Ho Chi Minh City and explore Vietnam from the bottom up.

Vietnam is also an incredible country some of my favourite places in Vietnam were Hoi AnHanoi and Hạ Long Bay but make sure you go see the Cu Chi Tunnels (a day trip from Ho Chi Minh).

Let me know if you have any questions always keen to help man have a great trip... we did!!

Joel

1. Nong Khiaw (attraction)
  2. Luang Prabang (city)
  3. Vang Vieng (city)
  4. Vientiane (city)
  5. Laos (attraction)
  6. Hanoi (city)
  7. Don Det (attraction)
  8. Siem Reap (city)
  9. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  10. Krong Battambang (attraction)
  11. Krong Preah Sihanouk (attraction)
  12. Phnom Penh (city)
  13. Mekong River (attraction)
  14. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  15. Vietnam (attraction)
  16. Hoi An (city)
  17. Hạ Long Bay (attraction)
  18. Cu Chi Tunnels (attraction)

Phil from Seattle

Get your ass to Vang Vieng in Laos. Its truly beautiful and full of things to do. One of the best places in S.E Asia.

You will more than have the get around those countries. Vietnam may be the more difficult one to see all of in the short period of time. 

Laura from Buenos Aires

Hi Zac, last january I travelled through Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Malassya.

In Thailand, besides Chiang Mai, I went to BangkokPhuketAo Nang and Railay Beach.

In Vietnam to Ho Chi Minh CityHoi AnHanoiHalong Bay Vietnam and Sa Pa District.

I also visited Siem Reap and Kuala Lumpur.

This took me 25 days and it was a wonderful trip, I loved all the places I went to. 

2. Phuket (city)
  3. Ao Nang (attraction)
  4. Railay Beach (attraction)
  5. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  6. Hoi An (city)
  7. Hanoi (city)
  8. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  9. Sa Pa District (attraction)
  10. Siem Reap (city)
  11. Kuala Lumpur (city)

Pablo from Chañaral, Chile

Hi, I was traveling over there for about a month, Cambodia (Siem Reap) it`s a must. I arrive to Bangkok then travel to Cambodia, then I went to Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi). I went to Singapore (It`s expensive if you compare with the other countries) thenMalaysia and finally Thailand (Phuket and back to Bangkok), every place has a special magic in it, but I really loved Siem reap, Hanoi and Phuket. Cambodia with the temples I felt like Indiana Jones, Hanoi it´s really cool and the beaches of Phuket are amazing. I friend of mine was on Myanmar and told me that it`s has even more temples that Cambodia.

1. Siem Reap (city)
  3. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  4. Hanoi (city)
  5. Singapore (country)
  6. Malaysia (attraction)
  7. Phuket (city)

John

You can spend 2 weeks in Vietnam and 1 week in 라오스. You can refer an itinerary: uang Prabang - Xieng KhouangPhonsavanVientianeVietnamHanoiHa Long BayHueHoi AnCan ThoHo Chi Minh CityMekong Delta InnHo Chi Minh City

1. Vietnam (attraction)
  2. 라오스 (attraction)
  3. Xieng Khouang (attraction)
  4. Phonsavan (attraction)
  5. Vientiane (city)
  6. Hanoi (city)
  7. Ha Long Bay (region)
  8. Hue (city)
  9. Hoi An (city)
  10. Can Tho (attraction)
  11. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  12. Mekong Delta Inn (hotel)

Duyen from Hội An

Thailand (1 week), Cambodia (10 days), Viet Nam (15 days), Laos (10 days). The left is about what you decide. 

When you are in Hoi An, you should spend time for these places: 

A lot of books about Viet Nam as Lonely Planet is the most known one. When you are in Viet Nam, there are tons of things to do and see.

1. Ha Long bay:

The best one is to move from Ha Noi to Ha Long bay the day before or in the early morning, then hop on a 6-hour cruise to view this place. After all, you get on bus and come back Ha Noi. It's a little bit hectic but it's enough to see this place.

Everything you need to know about Ha Long bay cruise.

2. Da Nang:

One day in Da Nang is enough. Make your way to the Pham Van dong beach in the early morning, then get to one of the restaurants on the beach way to eat the best seafood. In the afternoon, rent a motorbike to Linh Ung pagoda, the most famous pagodas in Viet Nam. At about 8p.m, come back the city center and make a relaxing walk on Bach Dang street to observe the local life.

If you stay longer, look at this itinerary for all needed info and notes.

3. Hoi An:

Take a Hoi An morning tour to see how purified and pretty this small town in the early morning. Then, head your way to An Bang beach and sample some of the best food in the restaurants nearby. In the afternoon, get around other rural areas like Tra que village or Cam Thanh Village. At 3 p.m, go with a Hoi An food tour to sample all the local dish in Hoi An. The tour finish at 8 p.m. After all, back to the old quarter and view how romantic it is at night.

Here is a plan for 3 days in Hoi An, which includes all info about hotels, activities and shopping, food in Hoi An. 

After all, it will be more interesting if you spend more time.

Have a nice trip in Viet Nam

Teddy from New City, New York

I think i will go to Vietnam, 라오스, Thailand and Cambodia

1. Vietnam (attraction)
  2. 라오스 (attraction)
  3. Thailand (attraction)
  4. Cambodia (attraction)

Julian from Australia

Also, I think you should join group tour to save money

Nam from Bangkok

You can travel to other parts of this region, although LaosVietnam and Cambodia are the easy destinations from Chiang Mai.

Thailand is the hub of Southeast Asia, you can head to everywhere by cheap low cost airlines.

Myanmaris the freshest place, Bali and Java are incredible. Even Philippines is the great country too.

Batad rice terrace, Banaue, Luzon, Philippines

1. Laos (attraction)
  2. Vietnam (attraction)
  3. Cambodia (attraction)
  4. Chiang Mai (city)
  5. Thailand (attraction)
  6. Southeast Asia (attraction)
  7. Myanmar (attraction)
  8. Bali (island)
  9. Java (attraction)
  10. Philippines (attraction)