Billy

Language Learning Meet Ups

Would you be willing to meet with a local while traveling over coffee to trade off languages and practice? If not, why not?

If you have done this in the past, how do you go about it?

Lindsey from Texas

I think if you posted something to the Couchsurfing board of the city/region you're about to visit, you could probably organize something with a local--maybe even get a group of locals to talk and hang out with!

Romy from Tel Aviv

I think it's a great idea! I was actually looking for something like that recently but couldn't find much information online..

Anna from Naples

I totally agree... one should create an app on this, with geolocalization and featured places!

Karen from Dallas

I read about someone who did this through Workaway.info. They lived with a family in Barcelona for a month or so, learning Spanish and teaching the family English. Have had it in the back of my mind to try on my upcoming RTW trip!

Ben from London

Immersing with locals and staying at homestays is the best way to learn a local language!

We offer language courses across France, Spain, Italy and Germany where you can meet other language learners, learn the language and stay with locals.

Check it out - http://www.everthoughtoftrying.com/language/ 

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Abbie from Kingston, Rhode Island

I love meeting locals when I travel!  I would go to less touristy places and just meet new people, not look for them before you go.  When I lived in Italy the best way to do this was get to know small business owners and employees.  It let me learn about their culture and find hidden spots only the locals know about.

Sounds like an awesome idea! Beer works just as well as coffee, too.

andres from South Korea

I have and the results are mixed. I made a friend by doing language exchange 6 years ago and this year we met again in Japan a couple times and he show me around and introduced me his fiancé.

Depending on their social status, how they think you should learn their language the results can vary.

One girl made made me very confused once and was pretty much time wasted. However I made a friend and I'm happy for it.