J. E.
Cambodia

J. E. from Cambodia asked

Visiting Langkawi for a couple of days in July, what to do with family?

My family will be spending a couple of days in Langkawi in July. I am looking for recommendations for good activities for a family with young children (2 and 4) that are not too expensive. I am thinking the beach and possibly a boat tour . . .

Langkawi

Rasto from Edmonton

If you want the combination of a boat tour and then something on a beach I would highly recommend Dev's Adventure Tours. They have something called Geopark Mangrove Boat Trip (RM 160 adult / RM 100 children) for 4-5 hours that will take you to the limestone caves with bats and to the mangrove swamp with all sorts of animals including eagles. Their guides are very knowledgeable and I mean it! I took the same trip but on a kayak in January this year and it was well worth my money. If you want program for an entire day, you can go with them later in the afternoon on a night jungle walk tour. I think you will get discount if you sign for both tours.

You can find pictures from this tour at the bottom of my photo gallery.

As for a beach, you have a lot of awesome beaches on Langkawi Island you can visit and don't have to pay for. But if you want something more exciting, you can go to Pulau Payar Marine Park where you can either scuba dive or snorkel with all sort of tropical fish. This might be a bit more expensive (check the prices or email them) for a family since it is a bit off coast of Langkawi and takes about an hour to get there on a boat. I went on a scuba diving trip there with East Marine Holidays, but there might be other agencies providing the service.

I hope this helps and you guys have a great vacation!

1. Langkawi Island (attraction)
  2. Pulau Payar Marine Park (attraction)
Alexander from Los Angeles

You should definitely consider a hotel at the Northern part of the island. There are a few reasons why:

1. Beaches are better at the North(as for me)
  2. It's close to jungles, forests and waterfalls. Two days is enough to visit a couple of them.
  3. It's a good chance to have boat tour. You'll be able to see wonderful beaches accessible only from the sea. Also it goes through mangrove forests. Since you've children they will be happy to see eagles, lizards, monkeys and fishes like batoidea or sharks.

I cannot say for sure what is the best hotel to stay at that part of the island. We stayed at tanjung rhu resort. It's great if you have children, but it can be quite pricey.