Johanna (TravelEater) from Canada asked

Good eating in Langkawi, Malaysia?

I'll be spending a couple weeks in Langkawi starting mid-November, and I'm looking for delicious Malaysian food to sample. I don't care if it is in a fancy restaurant or street food (in fact I'd prefer less fancy but more delicious!)

Advice on what to do in Langkawi is also welcomed. 

Langkawi

Gordon from Ojai

It has been years since I've been to Langkawi so I can't remember the specific name of places now. But there is definitely good food to be found on the island. There should be a few places that bring out what was caught that day, from small fish to large prawns, that you pick out, they weigh and then prep satay style for you on an open grill. Usually very delicious and cheap.

2 weeks is a long time for the island, I'd recommend renting a scooter to tour on your own. Also, you can go on a scuba diving excursion. They run tandem-dives for those that do not have experience.  After the dive you spend time on a beach snorkeling and eating, it makes for a pretty fun day.  I might also suggest hopping a ferry to Thailand and spending a couple of days riding an elephant.

1. Langkawi (region)
zafirah from Malaysia

1. Wan Thai Restaurant , it is nearby KFC junction , Kuah area.

they serve malay - thai seafood meals. 

2. Haji Jailani Thai Restaurant restaurant nearby Pantai Chenang 

Claude from France

Langkawi

HI Johanna

I was this year at  LANGKAWI. Its a nice place. I 'll go back next year.
Here are the restaurants that I liked:
Artisans Pizza
Red Tomato Restaurant & LoungeRED TOMATO excellent
Sun Cafe
L'Osteria
Tomato Restaurant with its Tosei and TIKA: excellent
Eagle Rock Cafe a good view on the south of the island

Bon voyage

1. Langkawi (region)
  2. Artisans Pizza (restaurant)
  3. Red Tomato Restaurant & Lounge (restaurant)
  4. Sun Cafe (restaurant)
  5. L'Osteria (restaurant)
  6. Tomato Restaurant (restaurant)
  7. Eagle Rock Cafe (restaurant)
Johanna (TravelEater) from Canada

Thanks everyone for your tips!

I very much enjoyed my time in Langkawi - a gentle and relaxing re-introduction to Southeast Asia. 

Here's an article I wrote summarising my recommendations on places to eat, stay and things to do:

http://www.luxuryandboutiquehotels.com/langkawi-malaysia-explored/

thanks again!

Johanna 

Sini from Finland

I spent there a week last winter, and unfortunately the food was to me worst in Malaysia. The best shoot was definitely the nigh markets (in various places each night).

Johanna (TravelEater)
Thanks all! I'll be reviewing some hotels, plus exploring and relaxing, so I'm good if there isn't too much to do! Although a dive would be nice. Gordon T. : any more detail on the elephants in Thailand? And is southern Thailand considered safe? Sini S: where else in Malaysia do you recommend for food? Thanks!