Jan
Thornton

Lake Powell, Utah

Places to see at Lake Powell? Bars, restaurants, activities?

Taking a girls houseboat trip to Lake Powell. 2nd week in September. Never been, Wondering if there are certain areas I should see, bars, restaurants and such that we need to stop at.

Hello Jan!  I've probably been on houseboats at Lake Powell around ten times in my life.  It is an amazingly beautiful place.  The water levels vary from year to year so no trip is ever the same.

With that said, renting a houseboat on Lake Powell is not really a land based vacation, per se.  Since you live in Colorado, you will most likely get your boat out of Bullfrog Marina.  Almost without fail people who rent houseboats get out of the marina areas as soon as possible.  Lake Powell is not set up to have a bar and restaurant scene. It is basically for campers, boaters, and people wanting to get "off the grid."   Most people who rent houseboats will cruise the main channel and then head off into inlets to try to find the "ideal" place to anchor. I would make sure you have a speedboat, or wave runners in tow. One of the great treats of Lake Powell is getting into a small boat and navigating some canyons your houseboat can't get in to. Some people like to stay in one spot, and some people like to move around a bit and experience more of the different canyons of the lake, which are numerous.  We would purchase almost all of our groceries and liquor back home and have numerous coolers.  The only Marina we would visit, once leaving Bullfrog was Dangling Rope Marina to pump sewage, gas up, refill ice, and get an ice cream.  I will tell you that having been to over 30 countries, and all but three US States, that Lake Powell is one of my favorite places on earth. The night skies are unbelievable.  Sleeping on top of the houseboat and watching meteorites streak across the sky, as I fade off to sleep, is magical!  It's not for everybody though. while it is a reservoir, the landscape, and experiences are surreal.  I hope you have a great time, and please feel free to ask If you have any more questions.

1. Lake Powell (attraction)
  2. Bullfrog Marina (hotel)
  3. Dangling Rope Marina (attraction)

Gina from Minneapolis

There are a few you can check out:

Rainbow Room

Driftwood Lounge 

1. Rainbow Room (restaurant)
  2. Driftwood Lounge (restaurant)