Brit
Denver

Lake Louise

Best time of the year to visit Lake Louise?

I'm hoping to plan a trip to Banff and Lake Louise for a little hiking and am wondering when the best time of the year is to travel and explore. I was initially thinking August.

I'll be there for a week-ish with a friend, and we're hoping to do mostly hiking and camping, but finishing off the trip with a night or two at the hotel on Lake Louise.

Nancy from Alberta

Hi Brit

August and September are both excellent choices for a hiking trip to Banff and Lake Louise area.  You might want to look into availability at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise to help you plan your dates. 

Have a great time.  There are so many amazing hikes in the area.  One of my favourites in September is called the Valley of the Ten Peaks becasue the larch trees turn a beautiful gold color.  

Lake Louise celebrates the Fall Hiking Festival from September 6 to 28th so you might find some packages available. http://www.banfflakelouise.com/Area-Events/Festivals/Fall/Lake-Louise-Fall-Festival

1. Banff (city)
  2. Lake Louise (attraction)
  3. The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise (hotel)
  4. Valley of the Ten Peaks (attraction)

John from Calgary

Hello Brit C.,

I would use your knowledge of Denver as a guideline for your trip to Banff and Lake Louise.  The mountain altitude and westerly location is very similar to what you might find at home and the weather will follow.  Being further north would mean a later Spring than what you might be used to.  That would not be a concern for late spring/early summer.  Any time from May to September would be great for hiking and camping.  August is quite warm here and if you an avid hiker you might prefer June or September for cooler weather that would make vigorous activity more comfortable.  Have fun and enjoy your visit.

John

1. Denver (city)
  2. Banff (city)
  3. Lake Louise (attraction)

Tal from Bat Yam

I've been there at Aug 2010 and it was amazing for hiking. Check this too http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g154912-s208/Lake-Louise:Alberta:Weather.And.When.To.Go.html