Alex
Santa Cruz

Laguna Beach

Where to stay and non-surfing things to do in Laguna Beach

I was thinking of heading down to Laguna Beach with a group of friends to get some surfing in in a new environment.  Besides surfing, what else is there to do?  Also, any suggestions for places to stay would be awesome.

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Montage Laguna Beach might be the best hotel in the world.

And I haven't actually stayed at the Surf and Sand Resort, but it's a great spot for a meal over the waves & sand. 

Cafe Zoolu is my favorite local spot. Have to seat at the bar so you can watch the owner work in the kitchen.

1. Montage Laguna Beach (hotel)
  2. Surf and Sand Resort (hotel)
  3. Cafe Zoolu (restaurant)

Lee from Dana Point

The art festival is on in Laguna at the moment. Big crowds, parking is difficult. If you aren't going to the art festival drive further south and visit San Clemente. Great surfing at Trestles. San Clemente is fun just to walk around, explore the pier and all of the local beaches.

1. San Clemente (city)
  2. Trestles (attraction)

Ellen from Dallas

I agree with Brew: Montage Laguna Beach might well be the best hotel in the world! We've stayed there twice and would like to move right in! 

Check out Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel. In general, you just can't beat a Kimpton in great quality and price. When the budget doesn't afford a Montage-type choice (in any city), I check Kimpton first! Never disappointed.

1. Montage Laguna Beach (hotel)
  2. Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel (hotel)

Sherry from Long Beach

Whale watching is a must, depending on the time of year, Grey whales, Blue whales and Humpbacks are often spotted. You actually take it out of Dana Pointanother beautiful city not far from Laguna Beach. I like Captain Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari (Captain Dave's Dolphin Safari).

1. Dana Point (city)
  2. Laguna Beach (city)
  3. Captain Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari (attraction)