Tony

Ladākh Range

Walking the range

I'm heading to Ladakh India for a 2 week walk on the range. interested to know if anyone has recommendations of areas to visit, etc? Also, any thoughts on shots to get and on altitude acclimation?

Maurice from New York City

When I arrived in Leh, which is 10,000 feet I had no problem. My daughter was down for two days however. When you get there take it easy for the first couple of days and see how you are feeling. For most people 10k feet isn't a challenge. Above that is when it starts to get dicey.

As to shots see the CDC recommendations. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/india. It's probably too late for hepititis vaccine so be careful. 

Throughout India drink nothing that isn't in a bottle or you've seen boiled. Don't eat any raw vegetables. Other than that you should be fine.

As soon as you get to Delhi, reconfirm your reservation to Leh.

Then AS SOON as you get to Leh reconfirm your return to Delhi. It get's dicey up there due to weather (when you land in Ley you'll understand!!!) lots of people get delayed on the return.

It's been several years since I was there but here's an article I wrote: http://www.mauricebretzfield.com/a-journey-to-ladakh.php

I loved it there and would return anytime.

Contact me when you get back and let me know about your experience.

Om mani padme hum (if you don't know what that means you will by the time you leave Ladakh).

Happy trails to you.... 

1. Leh (city)

Vikas

If you want to enjoy the beauty of the Ladakh then you should go by road via Manali to Leh (capital of Ladakh) and may be you can take a flight while coming back. Do visit Pangong Tso Lake which is also connected to Nubra valley. 

If you are going by road then spend couple of days around Manali/Keylong or Darcha because you will pass through several high passes (Baralachala and Tanglangla) on the way. If you are flying directly to Leh then take it easy for couple of days. You can also visit Khardungla which is considered as a highest motorable road in the World at 18380 ft ASL. Probably, you will need a permit to visit there which can be easily obtained from the commissioner office. 

There are several monastries around Leh which you can visit. Famous one is Hemis Gompa. You can also do white water rafting in Indus river.

Just be careful with water. 

1. Hemis Gompa (attraction)
  2. Khardungla (attraction)
  3. Pangong Tso (attraction)

Shivam from New Delhi

Hey Tony, 

Good to hear about you visiting Ladakh. Have been going there for the last 5 years. i will break down everything into different sections for you here 

Acclimatization

• Arrive in  Leh and rest for the first day do not over stress ur self
  • Next day just stroll around in the city and to the monasteries of Indus Valley or Sham Valley 
  • Drink lots and lots of water
  • Try avoiding drinking and smoking 

Places 

I would love to go there again anyday 

you can refer to these links 

Ladakh Travel Guide: http://www.rltgo.com/blog/leh-travel-guide/

Checklist For Ladakh: http://www.rltgo.com/blog/leh-ladakh-trip-ultimate-checklist/

Hope the checklist answers all your questions about AMS, mobile connectivity etc

Feel free to get back. 

Thanks 

1. Leh (city)
  2. Indus Valley (region)
  3. Sham Valley (region)
  4. Hemis Gompa (attraction)
  5. Spituk Gompa (attraction)
  6. Alchi Monastery (attraction)
  7. Lamayuru Gompa (attraction)
  8. Diskit Gompa (attraction)
  9. Pangong Tso (attraction)
  10. Nubra (attraction)

Akash from Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

#acclimatisation

I would recommend the Srinagar - Kargil - Leh route and not the manali- rohtang-leh route, if you are planning to go by road. 

Manali - rohtang - leh route does not help in acclimatisation since you pass through sarchu, which is at an even higher altitude than leh ( about 1000 + feet more than leh ) , and that is why you will find military medical posts on manali - leh route and not on the srinagar leh route .

Srinagar - leh route gradually goes higher and higher and eventually to leh which is much better for acclimatisation.

If you are taking the flight then at least take it easy for atleast 2 days.

1. Srinagar (city)
  2. Kargil (city)
  3. Leh (city)