Salvatore
Agrigento

Salvatore from Agrigento asked

Best way to visit Kyoto and Osaka?

Hi guys, I'm gonna stay 5-6 days in Tokyo and then 3-4 days in Kyoto/Osaka area before flying to Okinawa. What's the best way to get around to see the city and some nice things outside the city(ies)? I don't mind renting a car, taking trains or anything that makes sense. Budget is "medium", I'm not going to travel extremely cheap and not extremely expensive either.

Should I stay overnight in the city or better to get lost outside it? Thanks

Kyoto (Japan)   Osaka (Japan)

Yukiko

Taxi is the best option in Kyoto. it is not that expensive and easy to go around (bus and train are not convenient).

Kinkaku-ji and Kiyomizu-Dera are pretty popular among tourists, but i recommend Rengeoin Sanjusangendo-temple.

1. Kyoto (city)
  2. Kinkaku-ji (attraction)
  3. Kiyomizu-Dera (attraction)
  4. Rengeoin Sanjusangendo (attraction)
Rebecca from Manchester

Hey, to get around Kyoto you can easily walk but if you want to visit Fushimi Inari Taisha (the big red tori gates) then take the JR west list from Kyoto Station to Inari Station then its just a short walk. Everything else is pretty easy to walk around in the centre of Kyoto.

For Osaka, use the subway or the overground JR loop line (a bit cheaper than the subway). 

To get between Kyoto and Osaka, there are a few ways, but the quickest (and not too expensive) is the JR line which takes just 30 mins.

If you want to go out of the city, I would suggest Nara and Minoh, which are easy to get to by train from either city (check with your accommodation which trains as I can't remember). I write a travel blog about things to do in these places, so it may be of interest to you.

Things to do in and outside of Kyoto - http://bit.ly/1cU5dnl

Things to do outside of Osaka - http://bit.ly/1EFoek8

These places can all be done in day trips, so I'd stay in the city if I were you.

Patricia
Just wanted to add on: make sure you take the Express train between Kyoto-Osaka. I got onto the regular train and it took me about an hour.

1. Fushimi Inari Taisha (attraction)
  2. Kyoto Station (attraction)
  3. Inari Station (attraction)
  4. Nara (city)
  5. Minoh (city)