Hi, I am travelling to Kyoto in late November with 2 friends. We are in our late 20's and want to see the nature as well as explore the city. We will be there for 3-4 days. Where is a good place / neighborhood to stay in?
Hi Taylor, there are some fantastic neighbourhoods around Kyoto, but also so much to do in the city itself.
- Hikone a big castle north of Kyoto. Not much else to see apart from the castle, but worth going to if you haven't seen many other castles in Japan
- Uji is well know for green tea and there are plenty of green tea fields here and you can even get green tea noodles
- Kibune Shrine Kibune was one of my favourite places around Kyoto. Lots of nice walks and a restaurant on top of a waterfall
If you want to travel a bit further afield, more towards Osaka, then these places are also worth visiting:
- One personal favourite is Nara which is a beautiful town full of roaming deer and a cool temple. This has a big countryside feel to it so there any plenty of walks to do
- Minoh is also really beautiful and is perfect to visit in Autumn as the trees are full of bright and beautiful maple leaves
- Kobe is a bit further south, but still easy to get to from Kyoto, and that is where you can try the world famous Kobe beef
Mentioned in this answer: