Kuala Lumpur

What's the best neighborhood in Kuala Lumpur for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Kuala Lumpur and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Kuala Lumpur is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Jackie from Seremban

Hi Katie, I would suggest the Golden Triangle ie. near the Bukit Bintang area. That's where a lot of the malls and also night markets are concentrated, so you get the best of both worlds. I regularly stay at Traders Hotel KL near the Suria KLCC and Petronas Towers; everything is within walking distance from there if you don't mind a bit of sweat from the humidity. Another option is The Federal Kuala Lumpur which is very central and has a great nostalgic vibe about it.

1. Golden Triangle (attraction)
  2. Bukit Bintang (attraction)
  3. Suria KLCC (attraction)
  4. Petronas Towers (attraction)
  5. The Federal Kuala Lumpur (hotel)

Steven from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Depends on your budget but places like Traders Hotel, Kuala Lumpur is central. Its connected to KLCC so that makes it easy to get around. Also from there, places are pretty walkable but if not can just cab it. Careful with cabs though, they like to rip people pff. Use Uber or Myteksi when ur here to solve that.

1. Traders Hotel, Kuala Lumpur (hotel)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I stayed in Bukit Bintang and it was great. There are shops, restaurants and bars there and also good transportation to get to the atractions like Petronas Twin Tower, Petaling Street or the Masjid Negara (National Mosque)

1. Bukit Bintang (attraction)
  2. Petronas Twin Tower (attraction)
  3. Petaling Street (attraction)
  4. Masjid Negara (National Mosque) (attraction)

Allan from Ipoh, Perak

Hi Katie,

Should you like the day time shopping where most tourists go to it on Bukit Bintang  in the centre of Kuala Lumpur City Centre

The PAVILION KL SHOPPING is the more modern with multi-national boutique shops,
loads of international cuisines. 

Mid range Hotels of international standards with price ranging from RM 350 to RM450 is where we Malaysians considered on the higher end. But these are great Hotels.
Hotels like Traders Hotel, Kuala LumpurPARKROYAL Kuala LumpurGrand Millennium Kuala LumpurThe G City Club HotelHotel Pullman Kuala Lumpur Bangsar just to name the few are all within 1 kilometer of that shopping paradize.

note: Be careful of the many scams and keep your handbags safe though, other wise Kuala Lumpur is a nice place with very friendly people.
We are multi-national.

Cheers and God Bless.

1. Bukit Bintang (attraction)
  2. Kuala Lumpur City Centre (attraction)
  3. PAVILION KL SHOPPING (attraction)
  4. Traders Hotel, Kuala Lumpur (hotel)
  5. PARKROYAL Kuala Lumpur (hotel)
  6. Grand Millennium Kuala Lumpur (hotel)
  7. The G City Club Hotel (hotel)
  8. Hotel Pullman Kuala Lumpur Bangsar (hotel)

Nur Jazmina from Shah Alam, Malaysia

Hi Katie! Im Jazmina and Im from Malaysia. I would prefer hotel nearKL Sentral as this is the hub for transportation where it easily connects you from one place to another. There's a direct train from the airport as well. 

1. KL Sentral (attraction)

Chan from Seri Kembangan

Welcome to Kuala Lumpur. If you have enough budget and want to travel to everywhere easily, you can choose to stay in a hotel next to main transit train station, KL Sentral. Else, hotel in Bukit Bintang is another option if you would like to stay in crowded shopping area. Hotels near KL twin tower, KL City Park are also good places to enjoy the night view of Malaysia tallest building.

1. KL Sentral (attraction)
  2. Bukit Bintang (attraction)
  3. KL City Park (attraction)