Jenna

Jenna from New York City asked

What's the best 1 night overnight trip from Kuala Lumpur?

I'll be in Kuala Lumpur for 5 days this January with a friend, coming from Siem Reap. We'd love to explore a bit more with a few day trips and/or an overnight. What's the most "must see" thing we should do? We've heard that Langkawi is beautiful - but also about kuala selangor and about an elephant sanctuary. What should we do?

Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)   Malaysia

Tatum from New Jersey

I would see the Cameron Highlands. It's a beautiful area will tons of green, rolling hills. I stayed at the Casa De La Rosa Hotel. Oh, the Butterfly Farm there was pretty cool, too.  Great photo op.

Patricia from Petaling Jaya

It really depends on whether you prefer to shop, check out KL's heritage or just do a walkabout in the city. 

If it's shopping, you can't go much wrong with checking out the Bukit Bintang area in KL. While Suria KLCC and the Twin Towers are a must visit, they can be rather expensive. There is also Petaling Street if you want to check out KL's Chinatown. 

Otherwise you might want to check out Zafigo's writeups about places to visit in KL. Hope this helps! (Disclaimer: I contribute to this site).

1. Bukit Bintang (attraction)
  2. Suria KLCC (attraction)
  3. Petaling Street (attraction)

A good overnight from Kuala Lumpur would be Melaka which is close to the city and very nice with a lot of history to it and a fantastic food scene.

Langkawi is ok but not even close to being as nice as Penang if you ask me, but I think both places are too far for an an overnoght stay as you will spend most of the time transporting yourself.

1. Kuala Lumpur (city)
  2. Melaka (attraction)
  3. Langkawi (region)
  4. Penang (city)