Kristen

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Monthly Budget for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia expat?

What's an ideal monthly budget to aim for in Kuala Lumpur as a US expat earning in MYR? My budget is mid-range, but I want to save as much as possible for the occasional week-long getaway. As long as my living space is clean, safe and inexpensively comfortable, I'll be fine. I don't plan to splurge on much but I also want to live beyond the bare essentials. Is MYR 4500/month for all expenses realistic? 

Patricia from Petaling Jaya

This depends highly on where you stay and work. If you're working in areas such as KLCC, Ampang, Bangsar and the like, your food expenditure is likely to be high. If you're staying in those areas, it'll be even higher (rent in the areas around KLCC tend to be around RM800 for a small room upwards). 

However, if you're staying and working outside of those areas then yes RM4.5k after compulsory deductions should be doable.