Kuala Lumpur

Best free things to do in Kuala Lumpur?

I'm going to be in Kuala Lumpur next month and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Patricia from Petaling Jaya

Hi Katie, for the arts, you can check out the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia(about 10-15 minutes' walk from the Masjid Jamek LRT). If you visit the area in the morning before 10am, it should be a nice pleasant walk to the Lake Gardens, Kl Bird Park and National Monument, and you'll be able to escape the heat while appreciating parts of Malayan history. 

I second the visit to Batu Caves if you have a chance. By KTM (which is the only rail that goes there), it's just RM2 one way. I would recommend going on the weekend when there is more to see and do there. 

You might also want to check out this website for more suggestions on what to do in KL inexpensively: http://zafigo.com/cities/kl-overview-highlights/ 

I would also recommend coming over to the Taman Paramount park near the LRT station of the same name in the evening if you want to people watch. Nearby, there's plenty to eat, such as Seapark Nasi Lemak and numerous Chinese coffee shops. 

1. Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia (attraction)
  2. Lake Gardens (attraction)
  3. Kl Bird Park (attraction)
  4. National Monument (attraction)
  5. Batu Caves (attraction)
  6. Taman Paramount (attraction)
  7. Seapark Nasi Lemak (restaurant)

Nam from Bangkok

Batu Cavescan arrive by cheap transportation 1-2MYR each way from KL Sentral. Amazing price for effective urban mass transportation.

1. Batu Caves (attraction)
  2. KL Sentral (attraction)

Nur Jazmina from Shah Alam, Malaysia

For outdoors, you can check out Forest Research Institute Of Malaysia and Batu Caves. Definitely inexpensive but these two places are located outskirt of KL. I am not really sure how much the transportation cost but definitely worth the trip. Definitely have to visit KL City Park, you can just stroll around the park and I would recommend to visit at night. 

1. Forest Research Institute Of Malaysia (attraction)
  2. Batu Caves (attraction)
  3. KL City Park (attraction)