Miranda
Seattle

Krabi, Bangkok

Restaurants and beautiful things to see / do in Bangkok and Krabi, Thailand

I've got some free days in Bangkok (2 days) and Krabi (4 days), Thailand coming up in mid-January.

What are some beautiful things to see and do while I'm in those areas? I'd love to hear about cool cultural / musical experiences, architecture / art / nature, perhaps a class of some sort? Which restaurants and bars should I hit? What types of foods should I be sure to try?

Thanks for your help! : )

Tony from Seattle

One of our favorite day tours of our 7 months of travel was the Tha Lane Bay Discovery Tour.  They'll pick you up in Ao Nang or Krabi.

Here's the web site:
www.dathaiservice.com/wordpress

Neat kayaking (lots of monkeys-- some jump on the kayaks), went to a rubber plantation (crazy interesting), and a gorgeous park that virtually no tourists visit.  Pro-tip: try to do the tour on high tide-- you kayak to places you wouldn't otherwise be able to go to.

Most of the photos beyond the first couple of rows in this set of photos is from that tour.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_wright/sets/72157638751903865/

It wasn't cheap for Thailand, but a pretty unique experience.

1. Tha Lane Bay Discovery Tour (attraction)
  2. Ao Nang (city)

Hi, Miranda,

Here are a couple of my favorite things to see in Bangkok--it's one of the few places I've ever been where I enjoyed the mainstream as much as the obscure which is why I have so many mainstream places on my list:

• Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho- absolutely one of the most amazing sites I've ever seen in my life. I must have spent half an hour looking just at his feet. 
  • Jim Thompson House - this was the home of Jim Thompson who was basically responsible for reviving the silk trade in Thailand. Now it's a beautiful house with a lovely gift shop and restaurant. You have to take a tour there. 
  • Grand Palace - you just have to see it to understand why I think you should go there. Grand is a very good word for it. 
  • Queen Sirikit Museum of Textiles - I didn't make it here, but it looked wonderful. 
  • Wat Arun Temple of the Dawn - a local told me that this was created because when trade ships sailed to and from here they needed something to balance the ship's weight and so they used old dishes. Supposedly Wat Arun was built just so they could do something with all the shards. Very interesting place, but make sure you're OK with climbing very steep stairs!!!
  • Nightingale Olympic - this might be the strangest place I've ever been in my entire life. It's an old department store that's been open since the 50s (or around there) and it looks completely stuck in time. Again--you just have to see it to believe it! 
  • Breeze -- this is a rooftop restaurant with the most incredible view of Bangkok you'll ever see. Dress well, though--they refused entry to one of the people in our party. 
  • The loom - I'm not sure what kind of classes you're interested in, but this place gives instruction in silk weaving which in Bangkok is pretty spectacular. 
  • Health Land (เฮลท์แลนด์) -- good chain for massages, although you might be in for a wait--our party waited almost an hour for an appointment. 

1. Reclining Buddha (attraction)
  2. Wat Pho (attraction)
  3. Jim Thompson House (attraction)
  4. Grand Palace (attraction)
  5. Queen Sirikit Museum of Textiles (attraction)
  6. Wat Arun Temple of the Dawn (attraction)
  7. Nightingale Olympic (attraction)
  8. Breeze (restaurant)
  9. The loom (attraction)
  10. Health Land (เฮลท์แลนด์) (attraction)

Pylin from Bangkok

Bar, try Maggie Choo's. Food, try street food on Sukhumvit 38 or Chinatown (from 6pm onwards for both locations). Also try fine dining Thais such as Nahm (No. 1 in Asia according to San Pelligribo 50 Best in 2014), Bo Lan, Ruen Urai. We also have very good italians such as OPUS.

1. Maggie Choo's (attraction)
  2. Sukhumvit 38 (attraction)
  3. Chinatown (attraction)
  4. Nahm (restaurant)
  5. Bo Lan (restaurant)
  6. Ruen Urai (restaurant)
  7. OPUS (restaurant)

Arunroj from Bangkok, Thailand

In Bangkok for rooftop State Tower  (silom area)

massage place Health Land (sukhumvit soi 21)

Good Local Thai food - Horapha Thai Cuisine(sukhumvit soi 22)

Shows (siam niramit)

Shopping Platinum Fashion Mall  (pratunam area)

1. State Tower (attraction)
  2. Health Land (attraction)
  3. Horapha Thai Cuisine (restaurant)
  4. Platinum Fashion Mall (attraction)

Tonya Russ from Charlotte

In Krabi, take a water taxi to Rayavadee Resort and go eat lunch in The Grotto, make a reservation!  It's one of my fondest travel memories, we took the water taxi, there's a little bit to walk around and see, including monkeys and a penis shrine.  Or better yet, stay there!

1. Krabi (city)
  2. Rayavadee (hotel)