What is the best way to get around in Koltata?
Best way is to use the city metro, it's fast and cheap and is mostly through out the city. However you may use taxi to certain places as well.
The transport system in kolkata is quite good. There are buses, cabs, app cabs, metro, local trains, with varied levels of comfort. I will give you the list according to convenience and comfort
1) Appcabs- mainly Uber and Ola. U can download the app from iOS and android plays tore. Log in and start using the app. It is simple comfortable and reasonable. Cabs are all air conditioned. U can sign up with my referral code abhineetg1 for Uber and get ride credits, or in Ola by MRN64A.
2) local cab or taxis. These are not Airconditioner and goes on metres. U can hail one just in the street
3) mini buses, govt. buses and Air Conditioned buses. There are bus stops from where u can board a bus. U can ask the steward (conductor) your destination. They will guide u. Fares are cheap but not very comfortable.
4) metro. The underground metro in kolkata was started in 1984 and it is the oldest in india. It is the fastest mode of transportation in the city.
5) local trains: not very comfortable but u can reach ur destination quickly.
6) auto rickshaws- it plies in fixed routes and are shared by 4 people.
7) hand driven rickshaws. Like the Chinese rickshaws- found in different areas for shot travel if a kilometre or two. Go for experiences sake.
local cab will be best option to roam in or around kolkata