Christy
Minneapolis

Christy from Minneapolis asked

March Hiking Recommendations?

My boyfriend and I will be spending four days in the Yosemite/Sequoia/King's Canyon NP area in just over a week. We would like to do some day hikes and a night or two of backpacking. We aren't looking for anything crazy, but are both experienced hikers. We do not have crampons or winter climbing experience. We will obviously talk to rangers upon arrival, but if anyone has done any hikes they've enjoyed in this part of the season, we'd love recommendations! Thanks!

Kings Canyon National Park (California)   Sequoia National Park (California)   Yosemite National Park (California)

Vivek

Hi, I have been to Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park. They are about 25 miles apart from each other (45 minute drive)

Sequoia is the bigger park with the worlds largest tree.. so going to see the General Sherman Tree is a small hike, then you can go to the Giant Forest Museum Trailhead there are plenty of trails to hike to from here. Also make sure to check out Morro Rock. Its about 300 steps that you have to climb and the views from here are spectacular.. At this point you are in the giant forest park and there are plenty of trails for you to cover. Kings canyon is a smaller place.. but equally beautiful. I would recommend the Kings Canyon Panoramic Point which is about 2.5 mile hike one way and the views at the top are really good especially at sunset .

Neil from Baton Rouge

My favorite hike in Yosemite is Vernal Falls and you have to make your way over to Half Dome. You can only go up if you have a permit though. 

1. Vernal Falls (attraction)
  2. Half Dome (attraction)