Jessie
San Jose (California)

Kihei, Hawaii

How are the beaches in Central and North Kihei?

I've heard recently that the water at the beaches in North and Central Kihei have  been described as "brackish" or even polluted.  I'm taking the family in Oct and was considering staying in these areas.  I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion or feedback on the accuracy of this.  If it is true, what area do you recommend in lieu?

Brett from Long Beach

I like far northern Kihei (Sugar Beach) for the sand, but the winds can get strong there and there can sometimes be a smell off Kealia Pond.  But once you go south of there, it's rocky offshore and the beaches aren't the best until you hit Kamaole One.  I don't know about being polluted, but it's not a protected harbor or anything like that, so I wouldn't think they'd be polluted.

Anything from Kamaole One to the south is going to be a great alternative, though it can sometimes be pricier down there.

1. Kihei (city)
  2. Kealia Pond (attraction)

Karm from Iowa City

Not true at all.  Beaches and sunsets are the best.

Tamilyn

That's absolutely not true. I would say there are many beautiful beaches in central Kihei. Not to mention you can always drive to any other beautiful beach. And yes you will need a car if you're coming to Maui.

1. Kihei (city)
  2. Maui (attraction)