Sam

Kiev

Where can I find the best traditional Ukrainian food in Kiev?

If things in the region calm down, I’m hoping to visit Kiev in 2015. Needless to say, I am very interested in trying traditional Ukrainian food while I’m there—where should I go and what should I try? I’d like to stick to moderately priced places, but if there’s a splurge you think I should go for, I’d consider it.

Branden from Canada

Hi Sam. I would say any place advertising Ukranian food is not worth your bother. Although...if you are looking for a quick, decent lunch there is a fast food chain called Puzata Hata which aspires to serve traditional fares like borscht, okroshka, perogies and vareniki (smaller meat variant). 

Those things...you can find in any cheap...small cafe. Don't be put off by a lack of customers or often unappealing facade. Often the best is to be found in those smaller cafes.

For a true Soviet-era experience, venture into large government buildings or older business centres and look around for their cafeteria. The food is not good per say but it gives you the authentic cafeteria experience and is very inexpensive. 

I would also highly recommend that when in Ukraine, you try to frequent Georgian or Azerbaijan restaurants. Those cuisines of the Caucasus regions are prevalent in Ukraine and, in my opinion, some of the best in the world. Most Ukranians will visit those sorts of cafes / restaurants for birthdays and other gatherings. You have wonderful things like khachapuri, soup kharcho, khinkali and wonderful meats (like lamb ribs) and vegetables (like eggplant) grilled on a large bbq called a "mangal". 

Enjoy your trip to Kiev and if you have time, be sure to check out some other cities such as Odessa, Poltava, Lviv.

John

Hi! I highly recommend "Varenichnaya #1" that's close to "Dvorets sporta" subway station.  Obligatory try "Borsch" and "Solyanka", also "vareniki" that are dumplings and homemade sausage. All these can also be tried in the chain of self-service eateries "Puzata Hata".

1. Varenichnaya #1 (restaurant)

Val from Dnipropetrovsk

Hi Sam!

In Kiev there are a lot of placeses with Ukrainian food. Try Первак and Touch cafe

1. Первак (restaurant)
  2. Touch cafe (restaurant)

Lyubomir from Lviv, Ukraine
Dear  Sam,
One  of  the  best  Fast Food chain  of restaurants  "PUZATA  KHATA" is  inexpensive  option  in  the  Ukrainian  style  This  restaurants  are  on the Kreshchatik street,  Площа Льва Толстого / Lva Tolstogo Square  &  Бессарабська площа / Bessarabska Square.

Paula from Tampa

Lots if great little cafés in Kiev. There is also a nice restaurant called Korchma Taras Bulbas, which is a small chain. The atmosphere is very cultural and the staff even wears traditional Ukranian stle outfits. We love to eat there! Be sure to try veraniki....cherry is my favorite.

1. Kiev (city)