Priscilla
Santa Monica

Kerala

What are the must-see or must-do attractions in Kerala?

I've been thinking about going to India for years and Kerala is definitely one of the regions I'd like to visit. If I have a limited amount of time, what are the most important things to see, experience, do, etc? Seems like a very tranquil place, so anything relaxing would be ideal.

Sharon from Uae

Head to the hills Munnar Resorts.. Perfect Tranquility! Or if you love the lakes,,, you can take a house boat trip,it has night stays as well.Eco Trails Kerala 

For an adventure i'd say go to Wayanad and explore the Edakkal Caves

1. Munnar Resorts (hotel)
  2. Eco Trails Kerala (attraction)
  3. Wayanad (city)
  4. Edakkal Caves (attraction)

shrihari from Chennai

Munnar, Alleppey,Kochi,Trivandrum,Thrissur.

These are the list of lovely places you need to visit in a short period of time. If time permits, try to visit Thekkady, Thenmala, Wayanad.

1. Munnar (city)
  2. Alleppey (city)
  3. Kochi (city)
  4. Trivandrum (city)
  5. Thrissur (city)
  6. Thekkady (city)
  7. Thenmala (city)
  8. Wayanad (city)

Sarankumar from Idukki, India

I am basically from kerala.

Try to cover this places Munnar ,Thekkady Fort KochiAlleppey for backwater and instead going Kovalam Beach Hotel try to visit Varkala Beach 

1. Munnar (city)
  2. Thekkady (city)
  3. Fort Kochi (attraction)
  4. Alleppey (city)
  5. Kovalam Beach Hotel (hotel)
  6. Varkala Beach (attraction)

Robert from Dallas

Dear Priscilla 

Though you have not mentioned the duration of the trip yet based on my experience, I would recommend Kochi/Kochi (2 nights), Munnar (2 nights), Kumarakom (1 night or 2 nights), Alleppey (1 night over backwater cruise) along with Varkala/Kovalam (both are beach destinations and you may dedicate 3-4 days there as per your interest). 

Finally, I believe having a Kathakali Dance performance with live makeup procession, an overnight stay over backwaters in a houseboat and boat ride near Munnar is some of the recommended activities to do while in Kerala. 

1. Kochi (city)
  2. Munnar (city)
  3. Kumarakom (city)
  4. Alleppey (city)
  5. Varkala (city)
  6. Kovalam (city)

Ajmal from Haripad

Here are few places from south to north.

Trivandrum(Thiruvananthapuram) (TRV) - Good, if you want to check out the capital city, has a beach nearby, - skip if you don't want to see the past life - palace etc...

Kollam - beach

Alleppey / Kottayam / Kumarakom - famous for the backwaters - good to relax, paddy fields etc.. also a beach,  

Ernakulam (COK)- beach, few historical structures.

Munnar - Hill Station - good to relax, ~100km from COK

Wayanad- Great things to explore here

1. Trivandrum (city)
  2. Kollam (city)
  3. Alleppey (city)
  4. Kottayam (city)
  5. Kumarakom (city)
  6. Ernakulam (city)
  7. Munnar (city)
  8. Wayanad (city)

Caroline

First of all let me congratulate you for selecting Kerala for your next trip, such an amazing and beautiful place it is that you are never going to be happy when you leave as you wanted to spend more time over there. I am a Keralite and I still visit the beautiful destinations repeatedly when I get time. Now coming to the destinations, it is not just about two or three places; you have endless amazing destinations in Kerala which is more of nature’s blessing that a place could be such a memorable spot. My favourite places in Kerala would be Wayanad, a place which helped me to take out my adventurous person inside me. A lot of adventurous activities could be done there to make your trip completely awesome. Hill stations and greenery is another main attraction in Wayanad.

1. Wayanad (city)

Bhavneet

Hi Priscilla,

Kerala is a big state and there are a lot of places that can seen. It all depends on the length of your trip. From the hill stations and forest areas to the backwaters and beaches, there is a lot to cover. 

Following are the places that can be visited in Kerala.

1.) Fort Kochi

Fort Kochi is the gateway to God’s own Country. It mainly serves as a stopover destination in Kerala. rists prefer to stay around Fort Kochi for sightseeing. If you are in Fort Kochi, here are a few things that you can do.

Dutch Palace, Fort Emmanuel, Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica, St. Francis Church and The Jewish Synagogue are some of the areas around Fort Kochi that can be explored.

2.) Munnar:

Munnar in God’s own Country is a hill station located in the Idukki district of Kerala.

There are a lot of sights to see in Munnar. The best hotel to stay in Munnar is the KTDC Tea County Resort. Though a little expensive, it is worth it because of its location and accessibility.

3.) Thekkady

This area in God’s own Country is also known as Periyar and sometimes called Kumily too. This place is famous for its wildlife sanctuary. The Tiger Periyar Reserve is located here.

4.) Kumarakom

Kerala is famous for its backwaters. Popular places like Kumarakom and Alleppey are the main reason why tourists flock to God’s own Country. I did not get a chance to stay in Alleppey as I chose Kumarakom. This sleepy little village is thriving with luxurious resorts, five star hotels and houseboats. The idea behind visiting this place is to enjoy a relaxed luxurious vacation with no sense of time.d Lake is the main reason why people tourists flock to Kumarakom.

5.) Kollam

During our repeated visits to God’s own Country we also happened to stay in Kollam which is a famous sea port on the Laccadive sea cost of Kerala. Kollam city is situated on the banks of Ashtamudi lake. This lake is also very famous for its backwaters and houseboat cruises.

6.) Kovalam:

No trip to Kerala is complete without visiting the beaches of God’s own Country. The beaches of Kovalam and Varkala are famous in Kerala although they will pale in comparison with the never ending beaches of Goa. Kovalam is more popular amongst tourists. You will see a row of hotels, ayurvedic salons and eateries lined along the beach front.

7.) Varkala:

It is essentially a back-packer’s paradise and a hippy haven in God’s own Country. Papanasm is the name of the beach in Varkala. Papanasm means washing away your sins. So essentially of you want to do away with all the evil in your life, go take a dip in the sea around Varkala beach ;-).

8.) Trivandrum:

Trivandrum serves as a major tourist center because of its proximity to the beaches of Kovalam and Varkala and the backwaters of Poovar. This city in God’s own Country ranks among the best cities to stay in India. I did not stay in Trivandrum during my trip to Kerala but I took a day tour of the city from Kovalam before boarding my flight in the evening.

To know more in detail about the places mentioned above, you can go through the blog link below in which I have written an exhaustive article of 4000 words based upon m experiences in Kerala. This blog will also help you in planning out your itinerary.

www.blogmyspace.com/kerala-gods-own-country

1. Kerala (state)

Rekha from Delhi

Kerala is called 'God's own Country' and this region gives you a wholesome experience of India. At one side you can visit beaches, backwaters & hills on the other hand you can explore the temples and Ayurveda treatments..

Munnar: A picturesque hill station of Kerala. Its beauty attracts a large number of tourists every year. You can explore tea gardens here or take part in tea making process.

Kovalam: A place where you can spend your whole day by admiring the surroundings of Kovalam beach. To rejuvenate your mind & body, you can also take Ayurveda therapies here. 

Trivandrum: is home to some of the most famous temples like Attukal Bhagavathy Temple and Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple

To experience nature from more closer, stay at a tree-house resort, which offers peaceful ambiance with only disturbance of birds chirping.

I hope this information is useful for you :)

1. Kerala (state)
  2. Munnar (city)
  3. Kovalam (city)
  4. Trivandrum (city)
  5. Attukal Bhagavathy Temple (attraction)
  6. Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple (attraction)

Sanjay from Pune

There are plenty of places to visit when you are in Kerala . A 5N/6D trip covering Munnar( 2N) , Thekkady( 1N ) , Boathouse Kerala ( 1N ) and Kovalam( 1N ) , The starting point can be Kochi and if you wish you can plan for 1N stay at Cochin as well. Please let me know if you would need any more help on this. 

1. Kerala (state)
  2. Munnar (city)
  3. Thekkady (city)
  4. Boathouse Kerala (attraction)
  5. Kovalam (city)
  6. Kochi (city)

Sajil

Cruise through Kerala in a houseboat!

Have you ever gone cruising in a houseboat on the backwaters of Kerala? If you haven't, make sure you do. This one is really a wonderful and unforgettable experience! Alleppey or Kumarakom. Now you can choose your houseboat online via BoatGuru.in.

1. Alleppey (city)
  2. Kumarakom (city)

Dominik from Krakow

Be sure to see India Backwaters.

Try to take part in Kathakali performance, that's a kind of local theatre.

There's a lighthouse in Kovalam with nice sight of coastline.

1. India Backwaters (attraction)