Annie

Kenya, Namibia

Safaris in Namibia or Kenya?

I am interested in safaris at both Kenya and Namibia. But given the limited time, I have to pick one. Welcome insights as to what to choose! My hubby and I will want to trek and camp. Luxury not required.

Jeff from Los Angeles

Update:

Annie,

I just re-read your question. Sorry. You want to trek and camp. Botswana isn't really conducive to that due to the Okavango Delta, unless you're going by dugout canoe. Namibia is perfectly set up for travel by car with tons of spectacular scenery and hiking near Sossusvlei. You can drive right into Etosha National Park in the north, stay at the park hotel, and do game drives with the rangers.

The country isn't that big, but most of the roads are dirt making distances longer than they appear. The coastal towns are cute, with great seafood and nice hotels. We camped at Spitzkoppe, with an amazing bridge rock formation.

You will have a great time in Namibia as long as your expectations match the offering: nice people, world class landscape, spectacular deserts, some great seafood (Oysters and King Klip (Sp?) fish!). Safari drives are available at Etosha National Park, but not the quantity of animals you'll see in Kenya.

--------

Based on the current security issues in Kenya, I'd go to Namibia. I went to Namibia last year. Spectacular! But you don't go to Namibia for the animals, as you would to Kenya. Namibia is a wonderful country, but it is very much like Death Valley. While there are animals in the north, if you are hoping for a typical safari experience--animal drives with lions, leopards, cape buffalo, cheetah, giraffe, elephants, etc.--go to Botswana. There you'll get the African animal experience but you'll have the safari park nearly to yourself. Namibia is good if you've already done the animal thing.

This was in the news today, "July 24, 2014 - The Peace Corps is suspending its programs in Kenya because of security concerns and is pulling more than 50 volunteers out of the country until threat levels decrease, the Peace Corps and State Department said Thursday."

1. Okavango Delta (country)
  2. Sossusvlei (city)
  3. Etosha National Park (park)
  4. Spitzkoppe (attraction)
  5. Namibia (country)
  6. Botswana (country)

Clifford from Kenya

I will recommend Kenya. Some lodges and camps offer affordable rates and being a tour agent here I can request for discounts. I will give an example, a tented camp called Ol Moran tented camp, they give cheap and quality services through agents. Safaris start from Nairobi where you spend a night or two so as to get time for a city tour and park visits. Next you either move to Nakuru famous for flamingoes or Samburu game reserve famous for the Special five mammals. Next stop will be Lake Bogoria, the hot springs and lastly the big thing, Maasai Mara Game Reserve. Large concentration of wildlife!
If you need more insight on this, Kindly ask.

Options: Sightseeing, Hiking, mountain climbing, city tours, beach holidays and culture. Nairobi Maasai Mara National Reserve Samburu National Reserve Lake Bogoria Lake Nakuru National Park

1. Nairobi (city)
  2. Maasai Mara National Reserve (attraction)
  3. Samburu National Reserve (attraction)
  4. Lake Bogoria (attraction)
  5. Lake Nakuru National Park (attraction)

Joanna from Boston

I would highly recommend Kenya, as the game viewing there is really exceptional. If wildlife is what you're keen to see, Kenya really has it all. There have been some security issues as of late, but these are really isolated to particular coastal regions and have not been in or near the safari destinations. I spend a lot of time there myself, and have always felt incredibly safe.

There are a variety of parks and reserves you can explore. The Masai Mara is famous for it's phenomenal game populations, but can get crowded and expensive! I really love the Laikipia Plateau, because it's a bit more removed from the tourist route and is home to a lot of the more rare species, such as reticulated giraffe and grevy's zebra. They also have growing rhino populations, as well as the big five. Some of my favorite game experiences were in Laikipia! And the landscape there is fantastic - on clear mornings you can get a great view of Mt Kenya.

Amboseli National Park is great for their exceptional elephant populations. The game viewing in this park is really fantastic, but it can get quite busy and can also get quite dusty.

I also recommend considering Samburu National Reserve and Tsavo. There are a lot of great parks to visit in Kenya, so I recommend focusing on 2 or 3 and really exploring them rather than moving around too much. It's also worth having a day or two in Nairobi so you can visit the Giraffe Centre and the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage.

Have a fantastic trip! 

1. Kenya (country)
  2. Masai Mara (city)
  3. Laikipia (state)
  4. Mt Kenya (attraction)
  5. Amboseli National Park (park)
  6. Samburu National Reserve (attraction)
  7. Tsavo (city)
  8. Nairobi (city)
  9. Giraffe Centre (attraction)
  10. Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage (attraction)

hillary from Nairobi West

I recommend Kenya it's very enriched with wildlife, culture,super terrain, perfect climatic conditions..its amazing.

1. Kenya (country)

Tessa from New York City

Go see Kenya!   Start in the city, by going to Nairobi National Park.  The park is within the city limits and and you can use your own vehicle for the game drive also there is no "time limit" on the length of your safari. Just watch out for those curious rhinos crossing the road.  They also have animal orphanages if you like interaction.   and the baboons will probably welcome you by pelting sticks and dirt at your car. 

Once you've had your fill,  hit the tarmac & make your way to Lake Nakuru National Park. it's about  a 3 hr, incredibly scenic drive. You can pick up a map at a local store or from hawkers in the road. They know  mzungus like DIY touring so they have maps on hand for sale .  We purchased one at Westlands shopping mall (when it was still standing).

Try to make a reservation inside Lake Nakuru National Park  Lake Nakuru Lodge - All Inclusive It's a splurge but well worth it as you have breakfast on the veranda overlooking  the cape buffalo waddle in a water hole and the baboons sun bathe. Again you can opt for safari guide to chauffeur your own car or reserve a spot on a game truck.  Reserve a room before you go!  We took a chance and just showed up, only to snatched up a room because of a "no show" reservation.  You will have plenty of animal encounters just driving to the lodge (we had several with a pride of lions)

The Masai Mara offers walking safaris and tented camps but it does come at a price. 

For the more conservative or frugal budget try www.exploreworldwide.ca    They have some great deals throughout Africa (and the world) at a fraction of the cost (i.e. $3300 for 13 days in east Africa).

Happy Tripping! 

1. Lake Nakuru National Park (attraction)
  2. Lake Nakuru Lodge - All Inclusive (hotel)

Milcah from Nairobi

I recommend Kenya. Beach holidays, wild life and culture just wonderful!!