sharon

New York City Kentucky, Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis

somewhere interesting

I'm planning a road trip from NYC to Lexington KY for 2 days, Louisville KY 2 days, Nashville TN 2 days, Memphis TN 2 days then back to NYC. I am looking for somewhere to stop overnight on the way back maybe halfway? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
Suggestions from a NYC native who now lives in Minneapolis, but my brother and mom live in Louisville and have for many years.....
Lexington doesn't have much there aside from UK, but it is a nice, small city and not as conservative as the rest of the state with the exception of Louisville/Jefferson County. Be sure to get time out in the hilly horse country to Lexington's west. White fenced farm after farm and spectacularly beautiful horses that will walk up to you and say hello. There is a road, the number of which escapes me, but it runs parallel to I-64 between Lexington and Louisville, just to the south. Great viewing opportunities in this area.
The Bourbon Trail has several distilleries again between Lex and Looey. In fact, the correct pronunciation is Lou-uh-vull. Tours and sampling makes for a fun few hours. Two other distilleries are in Louisville downtown. There is a website that describes each stop in detail. 
Louisville is a surprisingly fun place. Not too big, but has plenty to offer. Muhammed Ali history center is fascinating, Louisville Slugger Baseball Factory and tour, the Redbirds play AAA baseball at their stadium on the Ohio River waterfront. Great place. Also, check to see what's going on at the YUM center. Downtown arena seats over 20k. Too bad it's not basketball season, as both the men's and women's teams sell out regularly.
And don't forget to check out Churchill Downs. Tours are offered here too, or maybe you'll be in town during racing season. It's an amazing place. 
I'm unsure is UPS offers tours at their airport facility, but if they do, I'd go on it. Louisville is the U.S. hub for all of their flights, much like Memphis is to FedEx, so there is incredibly aircraft activity here. The facility is massive and on the opposite side of the airport from the main passenger terminal.
Lots of great restaurants here too, surprisingly, many along Bardstown Road and Frankfort Avenues. Literally scores to choose from. Louisville metro (includes all of Jefferson County) is I think about one million people but it feels larger. U of L campus is just south of downtown. And the place doesn't feel like the south very much. Cross the river into Indiana and it's the Midwest.
Y'all enjoy!

Marc
And if no one helps you with Nashville, I went to college 25 miles down the road in Murfreesboro, and my wife goes there frequently for work, so I can give you an overview if you want. I've been to Memphis to visit Elvis and Beale St. but wouldn't go back. Where in NY are you? Queens native here and get into the city a couple of times annually for my much needed fix. Was just there in March and it was the usual fantastic time. Need to get back for a Yankees game soon.