Mark
California

Kaua'i

First timer looking for fun experiences on a budget

I'll be traveling around Kauai for six days next month, never been before but looking to get the most out of the island. I hear things close early, and island life is slow and easy (which is great) but looking for things to do! Any ideas? Love the water, food, and meeting real people (not a tourist trap fan). Open to try anything, cheers!

Markus from Kreuzlingen

Food: Mermaids Cafe (the coolest hole-in-the-wall I have ever eaten, delicious!)

Beach: Polihale State Park (the most awesome beach I have ever seen in my life, just drive until the very end of the road, even if the sign says it is only 4x4)

Parks: Waimea Canyon State Park (a lot of hikes, even 2 days hike if I remember right)

Coast: Na'Pali Coast State Park (you have to register up front, there is only a 2 day hike - but It must be awesome [I did not do it])

Fun: Hanalei is a laid back surfer town with many beaches and spots for food - also it is close to 'the end of the road'...

1. Mermaids Cafe (restaurant)
  2. Polihale State Park (attraction)
  3. Waimea Canyon State Park (attraction)
  4. Na'Pali Coast State Park (attraction)
  5. Hanalei (city)

Heather from Poipu

Have spent a lot of time on Kauai in recent years...south side is usually sunnier...for reasonable rates and great location try Prince Kuhio Condominiums - you can walk/short drive to great snorkeling and beaches from there.  Restaurants are generally pricey, one of the best deals is Da Crack right up the road. Enjoy and aloha!

1. Prince Kuhio Condominiums (attraction)
  2. Da Crack (restaurant)

Daniel

I would recommend renting a paddle board for the afternoon, great fun!

A from United States

Hanalei is your best bet.  Snorkeling at tunnels (15 min drive), hike the Napali coast for a couple miles no permit needed to hike just to the beach, go paddleboarding  up Hanalei River, surf in the Bay.  Eat tacos at Kileaua Fish Market, try the hawaiian shave ice at the truck in Kileaua.  Get some Taro mocha cake at the hanalei taro juice truck.  Go to the farmers market!

1. Hanalei (city)

Ellie

Check out www.poipugetaway.com for an affordable place to stay on the south side. Enjoy your stay on beautiful Kauai!