Katie from Los Angeles asked

What's the best neighborhood in Kampala for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Kampala and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Kampala is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Kampala (Uganda)

Sandrine

The Kabira Country Club is close to the city center, easy to access every where in Kampala, great hotel.

1. Kabira Country Club (hotel)
  2. Kampala (city)
David from Kampala

Hi Katie, I am a resident of Kampala. There are plenty of hotels I could recommend that are located near to the city center depending on your budget. For now I recommend Urban by CityBlue(http://www.citybluehotels.com/urban-by-cityblue-kampala-uganda/). It is a relatively small boutique hotel. It has a great location, very near to the city center but set within a calm atmosphere. 

1. Kampala (city)
  2. Urban by CityBlue (restaurant)
Raymond from Kampala

Hi Katie

Are you looking to stay in a boutique hotel or a regular hotel? For how long? If you're looking to stay in a great neighbourhood, I highly recommend Kololo and Nakasero as they are lush green, clean with paved roads. Boutique hotels include Emin Pasha Hotel & Bar and another Mediterraneo Restaurant 

For hotels, try out Protea Hotel Kampala and Metropole Hotel The options are limitless depending on what you hope to do, and where you're most comfortable. Also check out Cassia Lodge