Kate

Kalihi - Palama

Safety and Stigma

Hi there, I am a university student looking to travel to Honolulu Hawaii and take a day trip out to Kalihi. I wish to gain a deeper understanding of authentic/everyday Hawaii rather than the resort Hawaii.I understand there is a stigma surrounding this neighbourhood and is labelled an un-friendly, dangerous neighbourhood. What is your response to this? Is one day enough to see the main areas of this neighbourhood? As well as do you have any advice for a young female traveller in this area?

Egar Traveler

Michael from Honolulu

Lol, a lot of areas on this island probably are labeled as unfriendly or dangerous. That being said coming with that thought is not a good idea. True there are areas that you want to stay away from if you are not from like the housing. As long as you just be cool, use your common sense and are aware of your surroundings you should be fine. If you are worried still just come during the day and bring someone.