Kalamazoo

What's the best neighborhood in Kalamazoo for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Kalamazoo and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Kalamazoo is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Ashley from Lapeer, Michigan

I like the little town of Marshall (Michigan) in the Kalamazoo area. During the day there are some cute boutiques and antique shops. At night in the town center there is beautiful fountain that you can sit around with some ice cream and watch it change colors and catch fire flies. There are many fun things to see in kalamazoo like Binder Park Zoo (one of the coolest zoos I have been too), visit the Post Cereal Company, the Air Zoo, and take a bike ride on the Kal-Haven Trail State Park :)

1. Marshall (Michigan) (city)
  2. Binder Park Zoo (attraction)
  3. Air Zoo (attraction)
  4. Kal-Haven Trail State Park (attraction)

The Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center is downtown and centrally located. I like the Courtyard Kalamazoo Portage and you can take transportation easily from the hotels. There are Hamptons I adore as well. There is Residence Inn Kalamazoo East and Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West and Belmont. They are all great quality and fun. Easy to get to and from downtown. Uber surges after 2 AM.

Kalamazoo is a big little city.  Sunday at 10pm I go to Shakespeare's Pub. Monday night I go to The Union Cabaret & Grille. Tuesday I go to Old Dog Tavern. Wednesday night is a mixer on the mall downtown. Thursday, Friday, Saturday there are always festivals downtown. So those nights I walk back and forth between Bells and Arcadia Brewing.  I love the festivals.  Some Fridays and Saturdays I go to concerts at Kalamazoo State Theatre as well.  There is a bar called The Library Kitchen And TapHouse which is very popular on Saturday Nights.  Transportation is cheap and easy here. I like to visit The Henderson Castle Bed & Breakfast in the Summer for dining. I eat the lunch buffet at Saffron Indian Cuisine.  I love Martini's Pizza in the summer.  The architecture is unique here.  This is a place where people care about you and each other.  You will know that walking in.  It is said that people always return here.