Jay

Jay from New York City asked

Just realized my passport expired and I leave in 9 days - what can i do?

I just realized my passport is expired (9/2) and I am flying out of the country on 9/11. What is the best way to get a last minute renewal?

AJ from United States

Everything you need to know is here:

http://www.travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/new-york.html

Basically, bring a hard copy of your itinerary, all your completed forms, all of your necessary documentation and apply in person. It's a well-defined process.

Jay from New York City

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I am going to try the local passport agency tomorrow morning. 

Kristi from Fresno

Find your closest passport office and see if you can make an appointment. You will need your travel documents with you and you should be able to walk out of the appointment with your new passport.  

Michael from Tempe

Go to the United States Passports & International Travel government website and search to see if you can expedite your passport renewal. Good luck!

Steve from Mechanicsburg

The state department has a passport agency in NYC. Check this link, make  an appointment, and be sure that you have all the required items before you show up.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/new-york.html

Or, if you have a lot of money and don't want to spend the time waiting on line, Google expedited passports and have a service do all the work.

Kathleen from Chicago, Illinois

Go directly to your closest passport office  

They will help you! I know someone who got their passport renewed on the spot.

Larry

Where are you traveling to? Internationally, and you have problems. Check with the US regarding expedited service

Jenny from New Jersey

Go to the embassy or to the offices in the capitol of your state. Check online you can get one expedited you just have to pay a fee

AJ covered this, but be encouraged that this IS possible. We had our passports stolen three days before a trip to Spain and we were able to get them replaced by going directly to the passport agency. It literally only took 24 hours.

Jay from New York City

I was able to show up at the passport office and get it 24 hours. Thanks so much for the suggestions!