Bianca
Miami

Juneau

Which Alaska cruise excursions are worth doing?

Taking a cruise to Alaska and in the brochure for it, we get to choose from a variety of optional excursions for an extra charge.  Has anyone ever done them and do you think it was worth it?  Currently, kayaking, dog sledding, and riding a seaplane sound the most exciting.  Would love to hear your experiences if you've tried!

Keith from Denver

I actually went on a similar cruise several years ago with my wife.  I don't remember the kayaking, but I do remember dog sledding and the seaplane as options.  The dog sledding looked really fun, but it was about $400-$500 a person and we just couldn't justify that cost, so we opted for the seaplane instead.  The seaplane was about $200 per person and we felt like it was well worth it compared to the dog sledding.  If cost isn't an issue, whatever you choose will be fun!

Scott from Bakersfield

When we visited Juneau in 2012 as part of our 7-Day Cruise we tried a shore excursion that toured the bay in a small boat.  It was interesting for the first 20 minutes but it dragged on an on after that.  The views were decent from the boat but I wouldn't recommend it for the amount they charged.  The Skyway Tram, however, was amazing.  We were able to see the entire area from up high.  The birds-eye view was complete with a rehabilitating bald eagle exhibit.  It was the most fun we had in Juneau

1. Juneau (city)

Kerri from Saint Petersburg (Florida)

Seaplane.  The dogsledding is usually about 1/4 mile if that.  The panning for gold... little lame. Avoid. :)