Bianca
Miami

Juneau

Clothes to pack for Alaska in summer time

My girls and I are taking a cruise from Seattle to Alaska this summer!  We'll also be stopping off in Canada in the middle of the cruise.  I'm all set for what this pack for Seattle and Canada, but I'm really at a loss for what to pack to Alaska.  One of the cities that we'll be stopping off in is Juneau if that helps.  

When I check the weather now, it actually don't look too cold.  It says that it's 49 degrees, but I'm wary since Alaska's known for its snow and all.  What should I pack for the month of August?  Rain gear?  Snow gear?  Boots?  Sweaters?

Tony from Seattle

There's never snowfall in Juneau in August in southeast Alaska (or southcentral if you venture up to Anchorage, Seward, etc)...  But you CAN get to snow if you take glacier tours or hike up in the mountains (both of which you should absolutely do!).

Alaska is all about layers.  I'd recommend having a fleece and a rainjacket to wear over your normal clothes.  A warm hat and light gloves aren't a terrible idea.

Juneau gets rain.  All the time.  It's a rainforest.  So plan on spending time in the rain and hope that you get lucky and see the sunshine while you visit.  That means  that you shouldn't bring wimpy raingear.

1. Juneau (city)
  2. Anchorage (city)
  3. Seward (city)

I've never been to Alaska myself, but my parents took a similar trip there.  I'll just say that when I picked them up from the airport, they both came back with heavy coats and big boots that they presumably picked at some Alaskan gift shop :P

Ve from São Paulo, Brazil

You should prepare for all types of weather. There were days I would wear a summer dress (or shorts and hiking shoes) and days I would wear fleece, a jacket and jeans.

When you are close to the glaciers it will be really cold but the boat will not spend a lot of time in those places. 

If you plan to hiking tours in the glaciers they will provide appropriate clothing (snow boots and everything needed).

So I believe packing jeans or walking trousers, a pair of shorts, blouses or tshirts, a fleece and a water/windproof jacket would be enough. Most of cruises have a laid back attitude so you do not need to bother packing fancy clothing (unless you want to). ;)

Alaska is one of my favorite places in the world. You will have an amazing time!