Jersey City

What's the best neighborhood in Jersey City for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Jersey City and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Jersey City is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

I would say the hip neighborhood is just west of the Grove Street PATH station (PATH is light rail folks in JC use to go to Newark, Hoboken and New York City.) 

Grand Sichuan is kind of a hole in the wall with very authentic Mainland Chinese food, if you like that. It's in that neighborhood.

1. Grand Sichuan (restaurant)

Carla

Jersey City is becoming such a cute, fun town! If you can, stay in the Downtown area, or the Arts District. Hoboken is also a good option, if you find something closer to the PATH station (trains into Manhattan). Depending on what you're into, I'd say the Downtown area has great restaurants, awesome bars, and fun to walk around. Check out LITM and Raval for interesting atmospheres; The Archer and dullboy for a more speakeasy vibe; and Orale Roman Nose, and Skinner's Loft for delcious food - Skinner's has the best brunch in town! 

1. Jersey City (city)
  2. Hoboken (city)
  3. LITM (restaurant)
  4. Raval (restaurant)
  5. The Archer (restaurant)
  6. dullboy (restaurant)
  7. Orale (restaurant)
  8. Roman Nose (restaurant)
  9. Skinner's Loft (restaurant)

Roxanne

The best area to catch the best feel for Jersey City would be Downtown Jersey City.  It has a vibrant personality.  Lots of great restaurants, pubs, and hangout that all the locals great views of New York City, citibikes and up and coming art scene.  5 minute train ride to NYC as well.  The Hyatt Regency Jersey City in downtown is great.  

1. Downtown Jersey City (attraction)
  2. New York City (city)
  3. Hyatt Regency Jersey City (hotel)