Kristel asked

Where should I spend my final days in Japan?

Hi, I'm now drafting my itinerary.

It feels a bit like I will be all over Japan in an illogical way but there are some festivals I would like to attend. I wrote FIXED DATE on the things I would really like to attend to on that date. The other cities I would like to visit I could switch dates if that is easier.  Could you give me your opinion?

22/7 FIXED DATE arrive in Narita in the late evening, sleep in Tokyo

23/7 Go from Tokyo to Kyoto. I have already visitid Nijo Castle, the golden pavilion, the temple with the thousend torii, Tenjuri Temple, Monkey Park and bamboo grove. This time I would like to explore Gion and the philisophers path and some temples or markets. Maybe visit the Gion Corner performances.  Other suggestions are welcome. I suppose I best look for a place to stay near Gion.

24/7: FIXED DATE Kyoto: Ato Matsuri Latter Festival Yama & Hoko procession or Hanagasa Flower Hat Procession. I thinks the last one might be most fun?

Later go to Osaka for Tenmangu Jinja festival. In what area should I sleep?

25/7 FIXED DATE Osaka:  I would like to visit the castle, Namba Yasaka shrine, the aquarium and Dotonburi. Maybe do the caste and the aquarium during the day, Dotonburi in the evening and the Namba shrine the next morning?

26/7 leave Osaka and go to Himeji
Morning: Namba shrine Osaka
Midday: Himeji Castle
Early afternoon: train to Tokyo, maybe meet friends.

27/7 FIXED DATE: Tokyo
Meet friends, go to the parasite museum in Meguro, Kappabashi street, visit Donki shop. (I have already visited Akihabara, Shinjuku, etc. Must visits always welcome!) In the evening: fireworks festival. In what area should I look for a hotel?

28/7 Tokyo to Mount Koyasan
Leave early and arrive before lunch, discover Koyasan, stay in shukubo

29/7 Koyasan to Hida Takayama, Kyoto or ???
Before lunch: visit Koyasan

30/7 Kyoto or Hida Takayama or ???

31/7 Kyoto or Hida Takayama or ???

1/8 ???

2/8 FIXED DATE Tokyo: maybe a daytrip? Cool suggestions for Tokyo are welcome. I've done a lot of the touristy thingies already.

3/8 Leave from Narita

Should I add another day in Kyoto? I want to go to Hida Takayama for two days but don't know when is best to plan it. Maybe I should add another town? Here is what I've already visited that I did not mention before: Nara, Nikko, Mt Fuji, Hakone. I would have loved to visit an onsen town but I not allowed due to health problems. I leave the country from Narita.

Advice is very much appreciated!
I have the 14 day Japan Railpass.

Japan

Mayumi from Tokyo

Hi Kristel, In Osaka, look into staying at First Cabin Midousuji-Namba. I haven't personally stayed there but I know some who have and said it's pretty good for what you pay. It's inside an office building and a nice budget place. My vote is to stop in Kyoto and explore :) it's a cool city to just walk around in.

1. First Cabin Midousuji-Namba (attraction)
  2. Kyoto (city)
Cheeleong from Singapore

Looks you move Tokyo - Osaka -Tokyo - Kyoto/Takayama - Tokyo..
Have you ever visited Kobe?

It is nice harbor city & eat Kobe beef in Kobe as one idea.
http://www.feel-kobe.jp/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-Kobe-Beef-in-Kobe-Japan/836913243068238

1. Kobe (city)