Hayley

Japan

Tips for amazing food experiences in Japan

I'm going to be in Japan for three to four weeks next March and travelling all over. Any foodie advice would be greatly appreciated. Home cooked meals would be a bonus!

Luciana from Austin (Texas)

Trying to help, not sure if I will be able to give you the information you are looking for: the train stations in Japan (especially the big ones like Shinjuku Station, Shibuya Station and Tokyo Station in Tokyo, Kyoto Station in Kyoto) have a huge concentration of good restaurants - and most of them are not expensive. These are the places where people eat on a daily basis, and you can find quite the variety. 

The basement of the big department stores such as  Tokyu HandsIsetan Beauty Park 1Takashimaya Times SquareMATSUYA have lots of great food stalls, selling from Japanese food to French sweets. Prices are all over the map.

The  Tsukiji Fish Market has several cheap sushi places, with the freshest seafood. 

We went to the  Ninja Akasaka restaurant in Tokyo the last time we were in Japan, it's a ninja-themed place as you can imagine. It's an interesting experience but definitely not cheap. We also went to  Gonpachi which is the restaurant that was used as an inspiration for the Kill Bill movie. Good food, moderate prices. There are lots of themed-and-weird restaurants in Tokyo, there is a  Alice in Wonderland Restaurant place that I've seen featured in many sites.

There is a  Shin-Yokohama Raumen Museum which is a ramen museum in Yokohama that has a few ramen vendors supposedly very good (friend of mine who likes ramen went there). 

Since you are going in March, you might get the beginning of the Hanami (cherry blossom viewing) festivals, we went to quite a few at parks during the weekend, lots of street vendors selling tasty and cheap foods - I love okonomiyaki, a cross between a pancake and an omelet.  Ueno Park had quite a few vendors and beautiful spots for cherry blossom viewing. I hope this helps!

1. Shinjuku Station (attraction)
  2. Shibuya Station (attraction)
  3. Tokyo Station (attraction)
  4. Kyoto Station (attraction)
  5. Tokyu Hands (attraction)
  6. Isetan Beauty Park 1 (attraction)
  7. Takashimaya Times Square (attraction)
  8. MATSUYA (restaurant)
  9. Tsukiji Fish Market (neighborhood)
  10. Ninja Akasaka (restaurant)
  11. Gonpachi (restaurant)
  12. Alice in Wonderland Restaurant (restaurant)
  13. Shin-Yokohama Raumen Museum (restaurant)
  14. Ueno Park (attraction)

Claude from France

Tokyo

Hi Healey
I traveled to Japan for the passage of the year 2000. We had been greeted by a friend of our children in TOKYO. I have no memories of restaurants  but around Shinjuku Station and Shibuya Station, you will find a lot of restaurants and  not expensive.
I'm sorry not to be able to tell you more, because at this time I did not writting book travel.
cordially

1. Tokyo (city)
  2. Shinjuku Station (attraction)
  3. Shibuya Station (attraction)

Brad from Michigan

Hakata Ramen Akanoren, that is all...

1. Hakata Ramen Akanoren (restaurant)